Where does the Vatican store its gold? Mostly in the U.S. it turns out
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
7/16/2014 (2 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
The Vatican Bank-formally known as the Institute for the Works of Religion-has released a 107-page, detailed financial report for 2013.
A new report from the Vatican bank details just where the wealth of the Catholic Church is actually stored.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - This release comes just one week after the group published highlights of its 2013 financial statement, which was released on July 8. The first statement said that the institute's net profit for 2013 was only $3.9 million, compared to a net profit of $117.7 million in 2012.
The detailed report, which was published on July 15 on the institute's website, is packed with information and explanations of the institute's focus, its investment policies, the division of its assets and more detailed information about its expenses, including contributions made to employee pensions.
The report also contains some odd curiosities.
The main depository of the Vatica's gold is the U.S. Federal Reserve, while medals and precious coins (more than $13 million) are kept in IOR vaults. A sharp decline in the price of gold meant that the value of Vatican gold fell from almost $40 million in 2012 to $27 million in 2013.
The Institute's officers also have almost $4.5 million in four funds set up for charitable purposes, including one to support religious orders and missionary work. Only the "Fund for Holy Masses" reported distributing any money in 2013 though, giving out almost $80,000.
The bank is also the sole owner of SGIR, an Italian-registered company which has almost $30 million in equity. The report describes SGIR as a property company.
The report also goes on to state that the institute's operating expenses include a "provision of [$1.3 million] payable to the owner of the building in which the IOR conducts business." The bank is located in the 15th-century Tower of Nicholas V on the eastern edge of the Apostolic Palace.
There is also nearly $340 million invested into external funds; 99% of the money is invested into funds that have their legal headquarters in Europe, while the remaining 1% is based in the U.S.
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for FEBRUARY 2017
Comfort for the Afflicted. That all those who are afflicted, especially the poor, refugees, and marginalized, may find welcome and comfort in our communities.
Shocking footage captures horrifying moment pregnant woman is launched from ambulance and SURVIVES Watch
A dashcam caught the horrifying moment a car accident led to a pregnant woman being flung from an ambulance on a frozen Russian road. LOS ... continue reading
(Vatican Radio) Pope Francis met on Thursday with Jesuits who write for the 'Civilta Cattolica' magazine, currently celebrating its 4000th ... continue reading
'In the Name of Peter' reveals NEW VATILEAKS - But is it as dubious as Chaouqui would have you believe? Watch
Francesca Chaouqui, famous for being part of an 8-person Auditing Commission COSEA who released confidential Vatican information in what ... continue reading
Preacher chased by youths arrested for being threatening and aggressive in disgusting abuse of police authority Watch
Gordon Larmour, a street preacher, has been spreading the Word of God for seven years. He was handing out flyers when a gay teen and his ... continue reading
In the latest development in an ongoing feud between the Vatican and the Knights of Malta, the Holy See has issued a statement affirming ... continue reading
by Catholic Online
- Innocent children forced into horrid orphanages and a life of terrorism
- Massive storm threatens to flood more than just the Oroville Dam HD Video
- Protesters gather to declare allegiance to Islam and hate toward ...
- Daily Readings for Tuesday, February 21, 2017
- 31-year-old man regains life after 'miraculous' face transplant
- 'I Am A Muslim Too': Angry protesters gather to declare allegiance to ...
- St. Severian: Saint of the Day for Tuesday, February 21, 2017
- pictures of saints
- john the baptist
- saint anne
- hail holy queen
- saint elizabeth
- saint paul
- saint christopher
- st mary
- nicene creed
- our lady of guadalupe
- saint francis of assisi
- young children
- Saint Nicole
- st. michael
- saint francis
- st nicholas
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, February 22nd, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, February 21st, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, February 20th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, February 19th, 2017 HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.