Skip to content
Deacon Keith Fournier Hi readers, it seems you use Catholic Online a lot; that's great! It's a little awkward to ask, but we need your help. If you have already donated, we sincerely thank you. We're not salespeople, but we depend on donations averaging $14.76 and fewer than 1% of readers give. If you donate just $5.00, the price of your coffee, Catholic Online School could keep thriving. Thank you. Help Now >

Guam archdiocese faces more than 200 lawsuits amid bankruptcy

Free World Class Education
FREE Catholic Classes

By (CNA/EWTN)
8/9/2019 (3 months ago)
Catholic Online (https://www.catholic.org)

The Archdiocese of Agaña is facing dozens of lawsuits related to clerical sexual abuse, and is encouraging any other alleged victims to contact the archdiocese before the deadline to file lawsuits expires this month.

Highlights

By (CNA/EWTN)
Catholic Online (https://www.catholic.org)
8/9/2019 (3 months ago)

Published in Americas


Hagatna, Guam, (CNA) - More than 220 former altar boys, students, and Boy Scouts are suing the archdiocese over sexual assaults by 35 clergy, teachers and scoutmasters, the Associated Press reports.

The last day to file a claim against the archdiocese is Aug. 15.

In 2016, Guam's territorial legislature eliminated the statute of limitations for civil lawsuits involving child sexual abuse. Former Archbishop Anthony Apuron was found guilty of some of several abuse-related charges by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith last year.

In January 2019, the archdiocese filed for bankruptcy in federal court in the wake of numerous sex abuse allegations. The move, decided upon in November 2018, allows the archdiocese to avoid trial and to begin to reach settlements in the abuse lawsuits, which amount to over $115 million.

Archbishop Michael Byrnes of Agaña has said that Apuron left behind no records of sexual abuse allegations in the archdiocese. And unlike many dioceses on the U.S. mainland, Guam has yet to issue a list of priests whom the Church deems credibly accused of sexual abuse of a minor, the AP reports.

Archbishop Byrnes has offered "deepest apologies" to the victims of Apuron, whom he listed by name. The victims were altar boys. They included the former archbishop's nephew and a former seminarian. They said the crimes happened while Apuron was a parish priest.

The Vatican first opened its investigation in 2015 after a victim reported his alleged abuse to the apostolic nuncio for the Pacific. The Apostolic Tribunal of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith in March 2018 found Apuron, 73, guilty of some of several abuse-related charges. He immediately appealed the decision.

The Vatican court upheld the original decision Feb. 7, and the CDF announced the final sentencing April 4. Apuron has maintained his innocence and said he is "deeply saddened" by Pope Francis' decision to sentence him.

Apuron was sentenced to privation of office; forbidden from using the insignia attached to the rank of bishop, such as the mitre and ring; and forbidden from living within the jurisdiction of the archdiocese.

He was not removed from ministry or from the clerical state, nor has he been assigned to live in prayer and penance.
 


Comments


More Americas

Priests convicted of abusing children at Argentina school for the deaf Watch

Image of Father Nicola Corradi

Two Catholic priests have been convicted of sexually abusing students students at an institute that cared for deaf children. The priests ... continue reading


Venezuelan cardinal says Maduro has 'led the country to a terrible ruin' Watch

Image of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro

Cardinal Jorge Liberato Urosa Savino has said that if the administration of Nicolas Maduro "truly had love for Venezuela they would have ... continue reading



Is God punishing California? Watch

Image of Fires burn across California, consuming homes and lives. This is happening with greater frequency. Are the people listening?

Yesterday, the wrath of God descended upon California in the form of fast-moving brush fires, hurricane force winds, dust storms, and power ... continue reading


Mexican diocese prays for peace as capture, release of El Chapo's son sparks violence Watch

Image of

Culiacan, Mexico, (CNA) - Following hours of heavy fighting in a city in Northern Mexico as officials detained and then released the son of ... continue reading


Pro-life coalition discourages reelection of OAS secretary general Watch

Image of Luis Almagro Secretary General of the Organization of American States

More than two dozen pro-life leaders are calling on the Trump administration to oppose the reelection of Luis Almagro, secretary general of ... continue reading


Never Miss any Updates!

Stay up to date with the latest news, information, and special offers.

Catholic Online Logo

Copyright 2019 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2019 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.

Catholic Online is a Project of Your Catholic Voice Foundation, a Not-for-Profit Corporation. Your Catholic Voice Foundation has been granted a recognition of tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Federal Tax Identification Number: 81-0596847. Your gift is tax-deductible as allowed by law.