Chilean president signs gender identity law
FREE Catholic Classes
Chilean president SebastiĂˇn PiĂ±era signed into law Wednesday a bill permitting people aged 14 or older to change their name and gender in the civil registry.
Santiago, Chile, (ACI Prensa) - The law signed Nov. 28 defines gender identity as "the personal or internal conviction of being a man or woman, in the person's self-perception, which may or may not correspond with the sex and name verified on the birth registration certificate."
It was first introduced in 2013 during the administration of Michelle Bachelet under the name "Recognizing and Giving Protection to the Right of Gender Identity."
Although some legislators filed an appeal with the Constitutional Court to declare the measure unconstitutional, this was rejected Oct. 25.
From 18 years of age, a person will be able twice to "obtain the rectification of the name and sex" in the registry.
Minors between 14 and 18 years of age will have to process the request in family court and have the approval of at least one of their parents or guardians.
Lacking that, the minor must ask a judge to intervene to proceed with the change of name and sex in the civil registry.
Once the minor makes the change they will not be able to retract it until turning 18.
Minors under 14 were finally not included in the law.
The law is part of the "Friendly Settlement Agreement" signed in 2016 between the Homosexual Integration and Liberation Movement and the Chilean state, with the mediation of the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights.
In this agreement, the state committed to "continue to perfect institutions on the foundational level " and to "improve and adapt" public policies and legislation to prevent discrimination and guarantee the rights of the LGBTI population.
This article was originally published by our sister agency, ACI Prensa. It has been translated and adapted by CNA.
Copyright 2018 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for July 2018
Priests and their Pastoral Ministry. That priests, who experience fatigue and loneliness in their pastoral work, may find help and comfort in their intimacy with the Lord and in their friendship with their brother priests.
With 26 priests murdered in the last six years, Mexico received a prominent mention in the 2018 Report on Religious Freedom in the World, ... continue reading
Catholic organizations and others welcomed the Canadian government's changes to rules for job grants that had required them to affirm ... continue reading
Millions of pilgrims travel each year to see the image of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico City. In one U.S. diocese, however, ... continue reading
Our Lady of Guadalupe has been hailed as the Patroness of the America's. The "New Evangelization" of the America's has been entrusted to ... continue reading
Amid continuing legal pressure against Catholic institutions in Canada, the Calgary Catholic School District faces a lawsuit from a former ... continue reading
by Catholic Online
- St. John of the Cross: Saint of the Day for Friday, December 14, 2018
- Taking the Kingdom by Force: Learning from John the Baptizer
- Advent is a perfect time to re-dedicate ourselves to the Gospel of Life
- Prayer Requests Live for Thursday, December 13th, 2018 HD Video
- Michigan lawmakers approve ban on telemedicine abortion pill ...
- Daily Readings for Friday, December 14, 2018
- Daily Reading for Sunday, December 16th, 2018 HD Video
- These are the Seven Most Powerful Prayers in History
- 8 encouraging Bible verses to lift you up
- 5 Things You Need To Know About 'Offering A Mass' For A Loved One
- Jamaica leads Caribbean nations in suing for slavery reparations - ...
- Here are 10 Very Interesting Facts About the Catholic Church You ...
- Daily Reading for Saturday, December 15th, 2018 HD
- Prayer Requests Live for Wednesday, December 12th, 2018 HD
- A Personal Advent Thank You and Request from Deacon Keith HD
- Daily Reading for Friday, December 14th, 2018 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way
Teacher lesson plans & resources
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education