How Republicans won the fight over abortion in Texas
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
3/8/2014 (3 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
Just twenty abortion clinics remain open in Texas following an antiabortion bills that was passed into law in July of 2013.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - House Bill 2, which was passed in November, requires that all abortion clinics close by Sept. 1, 2014, unless they have on-site ambulatory surgical centers. Only six abortion clinics in Texas currently meet this requirement and are likely to stay open.
Further provisions in House Bill 2also ban abortion procedures after 20 weeks, medical abortions after seven weeks, require women who wish to have an abortion visit the clinic four separate times prior to the procedure, and require all physicians conducting the procedure to have hospital admitting privileges within a 30 mile radius.
The bill went into effect in November and caused numerous abortion clinics to immediately close.
Proponents of House Bill 2 say that it is beneficial to the health of women. By holding abortion facilities to higher standards women will be less likely to encounter serious medical issues.
The bill's detractors argue that Texas republicans and Governor Rick Perry are simply using this rational to disguise political motivations.
Numerous pro-choice organizations including Planned Parenthood, the American Civil Liberties Union, Whole Women's Health and the Center for Reproductive Rights, have joined with a Texas law firm and filed a lawsuit. Specifically targeting the law's admitting privileges provision, claiming that it restricts access and will endanger the health of those having procedures.
The lawsuit managed to get an injunction filed to stop that provision from going into effect, but it was successfully appealed by the state.
The 5th Circuit Court is currently expected to make a ruling any day on this conflict. Critics of the bill state that even if the lawsuit's are successful, it will be nearly impossible to open enough abortion clinics to provide the same amount of coverage as before.
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for JUNE 2017
National Leaders. That national leaders may firmly commit themselves to ending the arms trade, which victimizes so many innocent people.
by Catholic Online
- Could man who destroyed Ten Commandments monument be possessed?
- Daily Reading for Friday, June 30th, 2017 HD Video
- Mafia responds to Pope Francis' suggestion they be excommunicated HD ...
- Waymo announces self driving trucks, industry close to shifting
- ISIS sex slave forced to EAT her COOKED one-year-old BABY
- St. Peter: Saint of the Day for Thursday, June 29, 2017
- Daily Readings for Thursday, June 29, 2017
- Daily Reading for Thursday, June 29th, 2017 HD
- Terrorists using Christians as sex slaves and human shields in the Philippines HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, June 28th, 2017 HD
- Central bankers warn of looming global recession HD