Funeral Mass scheduled for Monterey bishop
FREE Catholic Classes
A funeral Mass will be celebrated July 19 for Bishop Richard John Garcia, the late Bishop of Monterey, California, who died July 11 from complications related to Alzheimer's disease. Garcia was 71.
Monterey, Calif., (CNA/EWTN News) -Garcia was ordained a priest in 1973 in the Archdiocese of San Francisco, was a seminary professor and directed Hispanic ministry, and, in 1998, became an auxiliary bishop in the Diocese of Sacramento. The bishop was appointed to lead the coastal California Diocese of Monterey in 2006.
He was a board member of Catholic Relief Services and the Catholic Legal Immigration Network, and involved in several committees of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.
He was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease in April.
His episcopal motto was "En El Vivimos"- "In Him We Live."
In a 2017 pastoral letter, Garcia encouraged Eucharistic adoration in the parishes of his diocese, writing that "The Eucharist is a multifaceted, precious jewel in the Sacramental Life of our Church. We cherish and reverence this celebration of our salvation '" a perpetual memorial of Christ's Death and Resurrection."
In 2007, he wrote "In my life...I have encountered God's 'grace upon grace' even though I did not always fully comprehend or appreciate God's never being far from me."
Copyright 2019 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for January 2019
Young People and the Example of Mary. That young people, especially in Latin America, follow the example of Mary and respond to the call of the Lord to communicate the joy of the Gospel to the world.
by Catholic Online
- Prayer Requests Live for Tuesday, February 19th, 2019
- Bishops ask Supreme Court to hear case on racism in death sentencing
- Daily Readings for Wednesday, February 20, 2019
- Religious superiors voice shame over child abuse failings
- Daily Reading for Thursday, February 21st, 2019 HD Video
- Assisted suicide threatens the entire medical profession, Maryland ...
- St. Wulfric: Saint of the Day for Wednesday, February 20, 2019
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, February 20th, 2019 HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, February 19th, 2019 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, February 18th, 2019 HD
- Catholic Online School - Deacon Keith's Personal Message to All Catholics HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
Advertise on Catholic Online
Your ads on catholic.org
Catholic Online Email
Email with Catholic feel
Learn the Catholic way
Catholic Online School
Free Catholic education for all
K-12 & Adult Education Classes
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education