Pope Francis wants to change the Lord's Prayer - Here's why
FREE Catholic Classes
By Marshall Connolly (Catholic Online)
12/8/2017 (1 year ago)
Catholic Online (https://www.catholic.org)
Pope Francis has proposed changing the text of the Lord's Prayer to make it a little less confusing for some. The change has already caught on.
Pope Francis wants to change the Lord's Prayer to make it more clear.
LOS ANGELES, CA (California Network) - Pope Francis has suggested a change in the Lord's Prayer, which may be the most famous prayer in Christianity.
The prayer, which was given to us by Jesus Christ, and is found in the Book of Matthew, includes a line which some Christians say is confusing. It reads, "...lead us not into temptation."
Pope Francis has suggested the line be retranslated to read: "...do not let us fall into temptation."
The Pope explained in an interview that, "A father does not do that, a father helps you to get up immediately."
To be clear, Pope Francis is not actually changing the Lord's prayer, but rather clearing up the translation to ensure people clearly understand what is meant.
Language is fluid and changes with time, hence the need for updated translations.
The change has already caught on with the Catholic Church in France approving the clarified phrase for use. The translation is optional. If the early adoption by the French Chruch is any indication, the rest of the world may follow quickly.
Copyright 2019 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for January 2019
Young People and the Example of Mary. That young people, especially in Latin America, follow the example of Mary and respond to the call of the Lord to communicate the joy of the Gospel to the world.
by Catholic Online
- World Youth Day kicks off with message: 'Have the courage to be saints'
- El Papa Francisco ya esta en Panama para la JMJ 2019
- Daily Readings for Thursday, January 24, 2019
- Daily Reading for Friday, January 25th, 2019 HD Video
- Prayer Requests Live for Wednesday, January 23rd, 2019
- 'Get ready!' Pope leaves for Panama, confirms visit to Japan
- St. Francis de Sales: Saint of the Day for Thursday, January 24, 2019
- Prayer Requests Live for Tuesday, January 22nd, 2019
- Daily Reading for Thursday, January 24th, 2019 HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, January 23rd, 2019 HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, January 22nd, 2019 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way
Teacher lesson plans & resources
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education