Pope Francis wants to change the Lord's Prayer - Here's why
By Marshall Connolly (Catholic Online)
12/8/2017 (3 months ago)
Catholic Online (https://www.catholic.org)
Pope Francis has proposed changing the text of the Lord's Prayer to make it a little less confusing for some. The change has already caught on.
Pope Francis wants to change the Lord's Prayer to make it more clear.
LOS ANGELES, CA (California Network) - Pope Francis has suggested a change in the Lord's Prayer, which may be the most famous prayer in Christianity.
The prayer, which was given to us by Jesus Christ, and is found in the Book of Matthew, includes a line which some Christians say is confusing. It reads, "...lead us not into temptation."
Pope Francis has suggested the line be retranslated to read: "...do not let us fall into temptation."
The Pope explained in an interview that, "A father does not do that, a father helps you to get up immediately."
To be clear, Pope Francis is not actually changing the Lord's prayer, but rather clearing up the translation to ensure people clearly understand what is meant.
Language is fluid and changes with time, hence the need for updated translations.
The change has already caught on with the Catholic Church in France approving the clarified phrase for use. The translation is optional. If the early adoption by the French Chruch is any indication, the rest of the world may follow quickly.
Copyright 2018 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for FEBRUARY 2018
Say 'No' to Corruption. That those who have material, political or spiritual power may resist any lure of corruption.
by Catholic Online
- 'Living Lent': Sunday of the Fifth Week of Lent - Day 33
- St. Patrick: Saint of the Day for Saturday, March 17, 2018
- Daily Reading for Monday, March 19th, 2018 HD Video
- 'Living Lent': Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent - Day 34
- 'Living Lent': Saturday of the Fourth Week of Lent - Day 32
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, March 20th, 2018 HD Video
- Daily Readings for Saturday, March 17, 2018
- pictures of saints
- john the baptist
- saint anne
- hail holy queen
- saint elizabeth
- saint paul
- saint christopher
- st mary
- nicene creed
- our lady of guadalupe
- saint francis of assisi
- young children
- Saint Nicole
- st. michael
- saint francis
- st nicholas
- Daily Reading for Sunday, March 18th, 2018 HD
- The Earth is Dying: Human impact continues to shape the future of the planet HD
- Thousands of students walk out of schools to protest gun violence HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, March 17th, 2018 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way
Teacher lesson plans & resources
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education