Pope Francis to visit Egypt in April
Rumors of Pope Francis visiting Egypt this year have been circulating, with the Vatican admitting only it would consider a papal visit.
Pope Francis to visit Egypt.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Now, the Vatican announced Pope Francis will be visiting Egypt from April 28 to the 29.
The official papal visit to the Muslim-majority nation to reveal the importance of interfaith dialogue.
He will arrive in Cairo, Egypt, and is expected to visit Al-Azhar University, which recently partnered with the Vatican to discuss how to fight "religious justification" for violence.
According to CNA, Cardinal Jean-Louis Tauran, the president of the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue, and the council's secretary and head of their Office for Islam, traveled to Cairo on February 24 to participate in the special seminar at Al-Azhar University to discuss the theme "The role of al-Azhar al-Sharif and the Vatican in countering the phenomena of fanaticism, extremism and violence in the name of religion.
Pope Francis met Pope Tawadros II of Alexandria at the Vatican in 2013.
Christian persecution in Egypt has been an ongoing issue, which many hope Pope Francis will discuss and help change during his visit.
There have been 40 reported murders of Christians in Egypt this year alone, with 29 killed in a bombing at St. Mark's Coptic Orthodox Cathedral in December.
The Islamic State took credit for the bombing and released a video later to target Christian "crusaders" in their country.
Can Pope Francis help interfaith relations? Will the government step up their protection of religious minorities? Only time will tell.
Copyright 2018 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for FEBRUARY 2018
Say 'No' to Corruption. That those who have material, political or spiritual power may resist any lure of corruption.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Friday, March 23, 2018
- Young Catholics become a minority in places across Europe
- 'Living Lent': Friday of the Fifth Week of Lent - Day 38
- Vatican to UN, people with Down Syndrome deserve human rights protections
- St. Toribio Alfonso de Mogrovejo: Saint of the Day for Friday, March ...
- Abortion Walkout Protest planned by several high school students HD Video
- Daily Reading for Saturday, March 24th, 2018 HD Video
- Daily Reading for Friday, March 23rd, 2018 HD
- Data taken from Facebook is being used to control you HD
- Sin HD
- NOT AGAIN Ă˘Â€Â" Ă˘Â€ÂMultiple casualtiesĂ˘Â€Â™ at Maryland school shooting HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way
Teacher lesson plans & resources
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education