Pope Francis to visit Egypt in April
Rumors of Pope Francis visiting Egypt this year have been circulating, with the Vatican admitting only it would consider a papal visit.
Pope Francis to visit Egypt.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Now, the Vatican announced Pope Francis will be visiting Egypt from April 28 to the 29.
The official papal visit to the Muslim-majority nation to reveal the importance of interfaith dialogue.
He will arrive in Cairo, Egypt, and is expected to visit Al-Azhar University, which recently partnered with the Vatican to discuss how to fight "religious justification" for violence.
According to CNA, Cardinal Jean-Louis Tauran, the president of the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue, and the council's secretary and head of their Office for Islam, traveled to Cairo on February 24 to participate in the special seminar at Al-Azhar University to discuss the theme "The role of al-Azhar al-Sharif and the Vatican in countering the phenomena of fanaticism, extremism and violence in the name of religion.
Pope Francis met Pope Tawadros II of Alexandria at the Vatican in 2013.
Christian persecution in Egypt has been an ongoing issue, which many hope Pope Francis will discuss and help change during his visit.
There have been 40 reported murders of Christians in Egypt this year alone, with 29 killed in a bombing at St. Mark's Coptic Orthodox Cathedral in December.
The Islamic State took credit for the bombing and released a video later to target Christian "crusaders" in their country.
Can Pope Francis help interfaith relations? Will the government step up their protection of religious minorities? Only time will tell.
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for JUNE 2017
National Leaders. That national leaders may firmly commit themselves to ending the arms trade, which victimizes so many innocent people.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Saturday, June 24, 2017
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, June 27th, 2017 HD Video
- St. John the Baptist: Saint of the Day for Saturday, June 24, 2017
- How a Catholic should deal with Tinder and other dating apps
- The end of the farm as we know it has arrived - here's how we're ...
- 'Half-Man-Half-Beast sent by the Devil' sparks fear in South African ...
- Daily Reading for Monday, June 26th, 2017 HD Video
- Daily Reading for Sunday, June 25th, 2017 HD
- Pope Francis prepares an incredible gift of love and solidarity for South Sudan HD
- St. Emma HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, June 24th, 2017 HD