Build Bridges not Walls: Pope Francis calls for Christians to defeat evil with good
FREE Catholic Classes
Pope Francis has appealed for people to build bridges not walls.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - During his weekly Wednesday audience at the Vatican, the Holy Father spoke out in reflection of young human trafficking victims, touching on the feast day of St. Josephine Bakhita, a Sudanese immigrant who became a nun.
"In the social and civil context as well, I appeal not to create walls but to build bridges...To not respond to evil with evil. To defeat evil with good, the offence with forgiveness. A Christian would never say 'you will pay for that.' Never," expressed Pope Francis. "That is not a Christian gesture. An offence you overcome with forgiveness. To live in peace with everyone."
Pope Francis often urges countries to openly welcome migrants, and he has previously stated that anyone who wants to build a wall is "not Christian."
During his audience, the Pontiff also asked for prayers for Myanmar's Muslim Rohingya ethnic minority facing discrimination in Buddhist-majority Myanmar.
"These are good people, peaceful people," Francis said. "They're not Christians, but they're good, our brothers and sisters. And they have been suffering for years. They've been tortured and killed, simply because they are continuing their traditions, their Muslim faith. Let us pray for them," he said.
Copyright 2019 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for January 2019
Young People and the Example of Mary. That young people, especially in Latin America, follow the example of Mary and respond to the call of the Lord to communicate the joy of the Gospel to the world.
by Catholic Online
- Holy cow: Farm animals receive blessing outside St Peter's Square
- Daily Readings for Tuesday, January 22, 2019
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, January 23rd, 2019 HD Video
- Bill to ban revenge porn introduced in Montana
- St. Vincent Pallotti: Saint of the Day for Tuesday, January 22, 2019
- Fr. Frank Pavone on The Pro-life Legacy of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther ...
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, January 22nd, 2019 HD Video
- Daily Reading for Monday, January 21st, 2019 HD
- Prayer Requests Live for Friday, January 18th, 2019 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, January 20th, 2019 HD
- Prayer Requests Live for Thursday, January 17th, 2019 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way
Teacher lesson plans & resources
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education