6 FUN FACTS about St. Patrick and St. Patrick's Day that may surprise you!
FREE Catholic Classes
St. Patrick's Day is nearly here, the time has come to join and celebrate the Catholic saint.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - You may incessantly stand by the notion that all must wear green on March 17, or you might obsessively search for a "leprechaun" or "pot of gold" during the day. However, one thing we are sure of here at Catholic Online, the patron saint of Ireland will be honored.
Here are six fun facts you may not have known about the saint and St. Patrick's day:
1. St. Patrick was not born in Ireland, but rather he was born in Roman Britain in 387 AD.
2. St. Patrick was captured by Irish pirates as a young teen and enslaved by pagans and Druids, leading him to turn to God in captivity.
3. Saint Patrick used the shamrock to explain the Holy Trinity, and entire kingdoms were converted to Christianity after hearing his message.
St. Patrick used the shamrock to explain the Holy Trinity.
4. The largest St. Patrick's Day parade is in Britain, running more than two miles in Birmingham.
5. The first-ever St. Patrick's Day parade was in Boston on March 18, 1737.
Present day St. Patrick's Day parade in Boston.
6. The week of St Patrick's Day is also "Irish Language Week."
Copyright 2019 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for January 2019
Young People and the Example of Mary. That young people, especially in Latin America, follow the example of Mary and respond to the call of the Lord to communicate the joy of the Gospel to the world.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Reading for Thursday, March 28th, 2019 HD Video
- 'Living Lent': Wednesday of the Third Week of Lent - Day 22
- Daily Readings for Wednesday, March 27, 2019
- Pope Francis changes canon law for religious who desert the community
- Prayer Requests Live for Tuesday, March 26th, 2019 HD Video
- St. Rupert: Saint of the Day for Wednesday, March 27, 2019
- Heartbeat bill passes Georgia Senate
- Prayer Requests Live for Monday, March 25th, 2019 HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, March 27th, 2019 HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, March 26th, 2019 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, March 25th, 2019 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
Advertise on Catholic Online
Your ads on catholic.org
Catholic Online Email
Email with Catholic feel
Learn the Catholic way
Catholic Online School
Free Catholic education for all
K-12 & Adult Education Classes
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education
Copyright 2019 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2019 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.
Catholic Online is a Project of Your Catholic Voice Foundation, a Not-for-Profit Corporation. Your Catholic Voice Foundation has been granted a recognition of tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Federal Tax Identification Number: 81-0596847. Your gift is tax-deductible as allowed by law.