By Marshall Connolly, Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
7/4/2013 (2 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
The 4th of July is one of my favorite holidays. As a patriot, I greatly enjoy celebrating my country's birthday. My ancestors came to this nation to escape religious persecution, fought in the American Revolution, the Civil War, and have been loyal, happy citizens for centuries. This has always been a great source of pride. Unfortunately, for the first time, I am greatly disappointed in my country and I worry for its future.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Perhaps I have been naďve as a product of youth, or perhaps I haven't been paying attention. Whatever the excuse, I sure am awake now. My nation has accrued a laundry list of sins for which it remains unrepentant. How can I celebrate my country when it does evil as a matter of policy and calls it good?
Here is what's ruining my holiday:
1. Our government has been accused of funneling weapons and supporting the Sinaloa drug cartel in Mexico. This cartel and our weapons are responsible for the mass murder of thousands of human beings. Their drugs are destroying lives in America. Meanwhile, we refuse to intercept these shipments, or to control our borders in any meaningful way.
2. Our government is about to impose onerous healthcare requirements on employers and taxpayers, compelling everyone to pay towards practices which they find morally objectionable. There is no real way to opt out. Instead, there is punishment.
3. Our government is spying on citizens, allies, and much of the world by using a broad dragnet ostensibly to stop terrorists. The program answers to a secret court and if not for the heroism (misguided or no) of a single individual, we would remain ignorant of all this. Our government hunts this man, instead of taking steps to inform the public of the program, how it operates, and refuses to open discussion on whether or not such a program is consistent with the U.S. Constitution or the will of the people.
4. Our government is arming rebels in the Free Syrian Army, whose ranks are filled with anti-Christian, anti-western, anti-Israeli jihadists. In other words, we are putting weapons in the hands of people who hate us and are fundamentally opposed to us. We are possibly arming and training the next generation of anti-western terrorists.
5. A president and congress whose only goal is winning the next election govern us. By playing to win the next election, our government crafts legislation that generates enough votes to win the next election, regardless of Constitutional considerations. They pass new rules and regulations that garner massive campaign donations in the coming cycle. They craft no legislation that is wise because wisdom is no longer a criteria for leadership. It's all about charisma, rhetoric, and money. The job has become all about making a career for oneself rather than serving the public good.
6. We live in a country where wages have remained stagnant for over a decade, CEO pay is at its highest level in recent history, and businesses make record profits while paying the lowest taxes ever. Many corporations actually have a negative tax rate alongside their record profits. At the same time, no jobs are created, no pay is raised. Benefits are slashed and the poor and elderly are being asked to accept less than they were promised to help subsidize bailouts and tax cuts for the wealthy who contribute the most to political campaigns. Our schools suffer for want of funding and our infrastructure continues to crumble.
7. Our media is controlled by moneyed interests, and it filters the truth though right and left perspectives, while neither side has any genuine interest in solving problems.
8. Our college graduates are leaving school saddled tens of thousands of dollars of debt and entering a market without jobs, pay, or benefits.
9. Our parents and grandparents have reversed mortgaged their homes and their family legacies back to the banks, which are now richer than ever.
10. Our prison system is a university for criminals who we release early onto the streets, unrepentant and unrehabilitated.
And while all this happens, Paula Deen is exposed as a racist or Kim Kardashian has a baby and the country loses its mind.
My country isn't what I learned it was supposed to be. My country is all about money, power, and corruption. My country is drunk on reality TV, credit cards, and vice on a scale never before seen since the days of ancient Rome. Yes, we have an amazing standard of living. At the same time, our middle class is endangered, our budgets no longer balance, and we continue to fall further behind in every measure.
So how can I cheer when the fireworks go off this 4th of July?
We need new patriots. New heroes. Have you the courage to join me? Or am I the only soul that feels heartbroken and ashamed of his country this holiday?
AUTHOR'S NOTE: A caveat: The above video was supposed to be edited for language. It does not autoplay for this reason. Discretion is advised. Despite any language, the sentiments are exact.
By Linky C. (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
A pastor from Lancaster, California shared a haunting decision that created his 23-year-old "sin." He revealed details of this "sin" in a confession with his article posted in Charisma News. MUNTINLUPA CITY, PHILIPPINES (Catholic Online) - The California pastor shared ... continue reading
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
Several individual celebrations are scheduled for the Jubilee of Mercy in 2016. The faithful will observe with pilgrimages to Rome to celebrate with Pope Francis. Of the specific groups that will have their own days of observances, they include consecrated men ... continue reading
By Marshall Connolly, Catholic Online - (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
Cuban officials have given the go ahead for the papal altar to be erected next to a giant outline of Che Guevara for the world to see. Work has already begun on the project and the placement of the altar will provoke commentary from those who accuse Pope Francis of ... continue reading
By Tony Magliano
Seventy years ago, on August 6, 1945, the single most destructive weapon ever unleashed upon human beings and the environment - the atomic bomb - was dropped by an American B-29 bomber on the Japanese city of Hiroshima, killing approximately 80,000 people. Three days ... continue reading
By Linky C. (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
Ex-Pastor Tullian Tchividjian of the Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church in Fort Lauderdale, Florida broke his silence after his recent moral failure admission and stepping down from his post. Billy Graham's grandson wrote an open letter to his supporters and friends, ... continue reading
By Nikky Andres (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
Christians all over the world are suffering from increasing prejudice and persecution. It is no secret that Islamic extremism and repressive governments are trying hard to perpetuate the oppression of Christianity. Pope Francis has been moved to warn of "a form of ... continue reading
By CNA/EWTN News
Jesus Christ's miraculous multiplication of the loaves shows that he offers "fullness of life for hungry man," Pope Francis said Sunday. He encouraged everyone to offer what little they have to God so that God can multiply their gifts and good deeds. Vatican ... continue reading
By Hannah Marfil (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
Wearing your best outfit or putting on a little makeup in preparation for Church isn't too looked down upon. A leading Christian writer shared with Crosswalk.com what she has realized over years of church participation. Although she loves beautiful clothes and make-up, ... continue reading
By Atarah Haely (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
He was the first American who contracted the deadly Ebola virus - fearful and sick, Dr. Kent Brantly came to realize something important for Christians and their relationship with God. Amid the pain and moments of uncertainty, from being diagnosed positive with ... continue reading
By J. Matt Barber
So this was rock bottom. The day, which yet again wore into night with fast food and old Bonanza reruns, would end like all the rest. Where were my car keys? As I searched in preparation for another trip to the liquor store, I made my way to my bedroom and opened ... continue reading