Hosea - Chapter 13
2 And now they compound their sins by casting images for themselves out of their silver, idols of their own invention, the work of craftsmen, all of it! 'Sacrifice to them,' they say! Men bestow kisses to calves!
3 That is why they will be like morning mist, like the dew that quickly disappears, like the chaff whirled from the threshing-floor, like smoke escaping through the window.
11 In my anger I gave you a king and in my wrath I have taken him away.
12 Ephraim's guilt is packed away, his sin is locked up.
13 Pangs as of childbirth overtake him, and a stupid child he is; his time is due, but he does not leave the womb.
14 Shall I save them from the clutches of Sheol? Shall I buy them back from Death? Where are your plagues, Death? Where are your scourges, Sheol? Compassion will be banished from my sight!
15 Though Ephraim bears more fruit than his brothers, the wind from the East will come, Yahweh's breath blowing up from the desert to dry his spring, to dry up his fountain, to strip his treasury of everything worth having.
Reading 1, Sirach 5:1-8: 1 Do not put your confidence in your money or say, 'With this I ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 1:1-2, 3-4, 6: 1 How blessed is anyone who rejects the advice ... Gospel, Mark 9:41-50: 41 'If anyone gives you a cup of water to drink because you belong ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Trump dumps Obama's transgender restroom policy HD Video
- Urgent action necessary for 5.5 million people starving in South ...
- Why are there more Muslims than Christians in Britain's religious ...
- Daily Readings for Friday, February 24, 2017
- Atheist teacher accuses Christian students of harassment for inviting ...
- St. John Theristus: Saint of the Day for Friday, February 24, 2017
- London's famed 'actors' church' reveals marvelously beautiful new ...
- Daily Reading for Saturday, February 25th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Friday, February 24th, 2017 HD
- Scientists predict Biblical flood for California HD
- New pilgrimage route recreates Jesus' footsteps HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.