1 Maccabees - Chapter 8
1 Maccabees Chapters
1 Now Judas had heard of the reputation of the Romans: how strong they were, and how well disposed towards any who made common cause with them, making a treaty of friendship with anyone who approached them.
3 and of all they had done in the province of Spain to gain possession of the silver and gold mines there,
4 making themselves masters of the whole country by their determination and perseverance, despite its great distance from their own; of the kings who came from the ends of the earth to attack them, only to be crushed by them and overwhelmed with disaster, and of others who paid them annual tribute;
5 Philip, Perseus king of the Kittim, and others who had dared to make war on them, had been defeated and reduced to subjection,
10 the latter had got wind of it and, sending a single general against them, had fought a campaign in which they inflicted heavy casualties, carried their women and children away into captivity, pillaged their goods, subdued their country, tore down their fortresses and reduced them to a slavery lasting to the present day;
12 But where their friends and those who relied on them were concerned, they had always stood by their friendship. They had subdued kings far and near, and all who heard their name went in terror of them.
18 in the hope of being rid of the yoke, for they could see that Greek rule was reducing Israel to slavery.
19 The envoys made the lengthy journey to Rome and presented themselves before the Senate with their formal proposal:
20 'Judas Maccabaeus and his brothers, with the Jewish people, have sent us to you to conclude a treaty of alliance and peace with you, and to enrol ourselves as your allies and friends.'
32 If they appeal against you again, we shall uphold their rights and make war on you by sea and land.'
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 85:9-10, 11-12, 13-14
Gospel, Luke 5:17-26
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- Our Lady of Guadalupe: Saint of the Day for Tuesday, December 12, 2017
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, December 13th, 2017 HD Video
- Did Ray Moore break the law by talking to teens?
- Daily Readings for Tuesday, December 12, 2017
- Coming forward is the key to ending systemic abuse!
- Archaeologists open two new Egyptian tombs, discover mummy, artifacts
- Attempted terror attack fails in Manhattan as pipe bomb explodes ...
- Here's how Pope Francis wants to change the Lords Prayer HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, December 12th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, December 11th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, December 10th, 2017 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way