Ecclesiastes - Chapter 3
1 There is a season for everything, a time for every occupation under heaven:
10 I contemplate the task that God gives humanity to labour at.
11 All that he does is apt for its time; but although he has given us an awareness of the passage of time, we can grasp neither the beginning nor the end of what God does.
12 I know there is no happiness for a human being except in pleasure and enjoyment through life.
13 And when we eat and drink and find happiness in all our achievements, this is a gift from God.
16 Again I observe under the sun: crime is where justice should be, the criminal is where the upright should be.
18 I think to myself: where human beings are concerned, this is so that God can test them and show them that they are animals.
Reading 1, Acts 5:34-42: 34 One member of the Sanhedrin, however, a Pharisee called ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 27:1, 4, 13-14: 1 [Of David] Yahweh is my light and my ... Gospel, John 6:1-15: 1 After this, Jesus crossed the Sea of Galilee -- or of Tiberias-2 ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, May 2nd, 2017 HD Video
- Daily Readings for Saturday, April 29, 2017
- It feels great to win! Here's the list of things President Trump has ...
- Pope Francis arrives in Egypt with powerful message HD Video
- 'Acid is now a fashionable weapon of choice' - Britain averages one ...
- St. Catherine of Siena: Saint of the Day for Saturday, April 29, 2017
- Report claims extreme weather on DECLINE - but is someone lying?
- Saint Elizabeth
- St. Augustine
- Saint Anne
- st agnes
- saint monica
- saint catherine
- Saint Lucy
- saint clare
- saint rose
- st rose of lima
- immaculate conception
- st augustine
- st monica
- saint of the day
- St. Elizabeth
- john bosco
- st catherine
- st. cecilia
- st. paul
- feast days
- Daily Reading for Monday, May 1st, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, April 30th, 2017 HD
- Day 9 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD
- Day 8 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.