Hebrews - Chapter 7
2 and Abraham gave him a tenth of everything. By the interpretation of his name, he is, first, 'king of saving justice' and also king of Salem, that is, 'king of peace';
5 We know that any of the descendants of Levi who are admitted to the priesthood are obliged by the Law to take tithes from the people, that is, from their own brothers although they too are descended from Abraham.
6 But this man, who was not of the same descent, took his tithe from Abraham, and he gave his blessing to the holder of the promises.
8 Further, in the normal case it is ordinary mortal men who receive the tithes, whereas in that case it was one who is attested as being alive.
9 It could be said that Levi himself, who receives tithes, actually paid tithes, in the person of Abraham,
11 Now if perfection had been reached through the levitical priesthood -- and this was the basis of the Law given to the people -- why was it necessary for a different kind of priest to arise, spoken of as being of the order of Melchizedek rather than of the order of Aaron?
14 everyone knows he came from Judah, a tribe which Moses did not mention at all when dealing with priests.
17 For he is attested by the prophecy: You are a priest for ever of the order of Melchizedek.
22 the very fact that it occurred with the swearing of an oath makes the covenant of which Jesus is the guarantee all the greater.
25 It follows, then, that his power to save those who come to God through him is absolute, since he lives for ever to intercede for them.
26 Such is the high priest that met our need, holy, innocent and uncontaminated, set apart from sinners, and raised up above the heavens;
28 The Law appoints high priests who are men subject to weakness; but the promise on oath, which came after the Law, appointed the Son who is made perfect for ever.
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 85:9-10, 11-12, 13-14
Gospel, Mark 1:1-8
Reading 2, Second Peter 3:8-14
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- Prepare for the Lord: Advent is a time to prepare our hearts for the ...
- Here's how Pope Francis wants to change the Lords Prayer HD Video
- Daily Readings for Monday, December 11, 2017
- Vatican concerned over President Trump's decision in Israel
- Pope Saint Damasus I: Saint of the Day for Monday, December 11, 2017
- After 100 years of construction, the largest Catholic church in ...
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, December 12th, 2017 HD Video
- Daily Reading for Monday, December 11th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, December 10th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, December 9th, 2017 HD
- 200,000 people evacuated as California burns HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way