Amos - Chapter 6
3 Thinking to defer the evil day, you are hastening the reign of violence.
4 Lying on ivory beds and sprawling on their divans, they dine on lambs from the flock, and stall-fattened veal;
6 they drink wine by the bowlful, and lard themselves with the finest oils, but for the ruin of Joseph they care nothing.
9 If ten people are left in a single house, they will die
10 and a few will be left to carry the bones from the house, and they will say to anyone deep inside the house, 'Any more there?' and he will answer, 'No.' Then he will say, 'Hush!-Yahweh's name must not be mentioned.'
11 For look, Yahweh gives the command: as he strikes, the great house falls to pieces and the small house is in fragments.
12 Can horses gallop over rocks? Can the sea be ploughed with oxen? Yet you have changed justice into poison, and the fruit of uprightness into wormwood,
13 while rejoicing over Lo-Debar and saying, 'Wasn't it by our own strength that we captured Karnaim?'
14 But look, House of Israel, against you -declares Yahweh, God Sabaoth- I am raising a nation to oppress you from the Pass of Hamath to the Gorge of the Arabah.
Reading 1, Genesis 15:1-12, 17-18: 1 Some time later, the word of Yahweh came to Abram in ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 105:1-2, 3-4, 6-7, 8-9: 1 Alleluia! Give thanks to Yahweh, call ... Gospel, Matthew 7:15-20: 15 'Beware of false prophets who come to you disguised as sheep ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- How decaf coffee destroyed the ozone layer, you monsters
- Terrorists using Christians as sex slaves and human shields in the ...
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, June 28th, 2017 HD Video
- Cyber-attack hitting USA right now, experts fear could turn deadly in ...
- Daily Readings for Wednesday, June 28, 2017
- New social media algorithm can predict the future
- St. Irenaeus: Saint of the Day for Wednesday, June 28, 2017
- Central bankers warn of looming global recession HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, June 27th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, June 26th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, June 25th, 2017 HD