Amos - Chapter 8
5 you who say, 'When will New Moon be over so that we can sell our corn, and Sabbath, so that we can market our wheat? Then, we can make the bushel-measure smaller and the shekel-weight bigger, by fraudulently tampering with the scales.
9 'On that Day- declares the Lord Yahweh- I shall make the sun go down at noon and darken the earth in broad daylight.
10 I shall turn your festivals into mourning and all your singing into lamentation; I shall make you all wear sacking round your waists and have all your heads shaved. I shall make it like the mourning for an only child, and it will end like the bitterest of days.
11 'The days are coming- declares the Lord Yahweh- when I shall send a famine on the country, not hunger for food, not thirst for water, but famine for hearing Yahweh's word.
13 'That Day, fine girls and stalwart youths will faint from thirst.
Reading 1, Acts 2:14, 22-28: 14 Then Peter stood up with the Eleven and addressed them in ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 16:1-2, 5, 7-8, 9-10, 11: 1 [In a quiet voice Of David] Protect ... Gospel, Luke 24:13-35: 13 Now that very same day, two of them were on their way to a ... ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Pope Francis and Tawadros II release a SHOCKING joint statement
- Pope Francis arrives in Egypt with powerful message HD Video
- Daily Readings for Sunday, April 30, 2017
- St. Pius V, Pope: Saint of the Day for Sunday, April 30, 2017
- READ NOW - Full transcript of Pope Francis' nuclear war in-flight message
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, May 2nd, 2017 HD Video
- Pope Francis talks nuclear war - 'Things are already hot'
- Daily Reading for Monday, May 1st, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, April 30th, 2017 HD
- Day 9 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD
- Day 8 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD
How to Pray the Rosary
The Rosary is a Scripture-based prayer to help us remember the ... @ $0.00
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.