Esther - Chapter 4
3 And in every province, no sooner had the royal command and edict arrived, than among the Jews there was great mourning, fasting, weeping and wailing, and many lay on sackcloth and ashes.
5 Esther then summoned Hathach, an officer whom the king had appointed to wait on her, and ordered him to go to Mordecai and enquire what the matter was and why he was acting in this way.
8 He also gave him a copy of the edict of extermination published in Susa for him to show Esther for her information, with the message that she was to go to the king and implore his favour and plead with him for the race to which she belonged.
9 Hathach came back and told Esther what Mordecai had said;
11 'Royal officials and people living in the provinces alike all know that for anyone, man or woman, who approaches the king in the private apartments without having been summoned there, there is only one law: he must die, unless the king, by pointing his golden sceptre towards him, grants him his life. And I have not been summoned to the king for the last thirty days.'
12 These words of Esther were reported to Mordecai,
14 No; if you persist in remaining silent at such a time, relief and deliverance will come to the Jews from another quarter, but both you and your father's whole family will perish. Who knows? Perhaps you have come to the throne for just such a time as this.'
15 Whereupon Esther sent this reply to Mordecai,
16 'Go and assemble all the Jews now in Susa and fast for me. Do not eat or drink day or night for three days. For my part, I and my waiting-women shall keep the same fast, after which I shall go to the king in spite of the law; and if I perish, I perish.'
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 119:1-2, 4-5, 7-8
Gospel, Matthew 5:43-48
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- 'Living Lent': Sunday of the Second Week of Lent - Day 12
- 'Living Lent': Tuesday of the Second Week of Lent - Day 14
- The Biblical Seal of Isaiah has been found! HD Video
- 'Living Lent': Monday of the Second Week of Lent - Day 13
- St. Tarasius: Saint of the Day for Sunday, February 25, 2018
- Daily Reading for Sunday, February 25th, 2018 HD Video
- Daily Readings for Sunday, February 25, 2018
- The Tragic Reason Mass Shootings Happen, and it's NOT the guns HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, February 24th, 2018 HD
- Spiritual Warfare and the Help of Angels HD
- St. Lawrence, Deacon and Martyr HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way
Teacher lesson plans & resources
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education