Nehemiah - Chapter 4
1 When Sanballat, Tobiah, the Arabs, the Ammonites and the Ashdodites heard that repairs to the walls of Jerusalem were going forward -- that the gaps were beginning to fill up -- they became very angry,
2 and they all plotted to come and attack Jerusalem and upset my plans.
3 We, however, prayed to our God and organised a guard day and night to protect the city from them.
4 But in Judah the saying went, 'The strength of the carrier falters, the rubbish heap is so vast that by ourselves we cannot rebuild the wall!'
5 And our opponents said, 'They will never know or see a thing, until we are in there among them, and then we shall massacre them and put a stop to the work.'
6 Now when the Jews who lived near them had warned us ten times over, 'They are coming up against us from every place they live in,'
7 men took up position in the space behind the wall at those points where it was lowest, and I organised the people by families with their swords, spears and bows.
8 Aware of their anxiety, I then addressed the nobles, the officials and the rest of the people, 'Do not be afraid of them. Remember the great and awe-inspiring Lord and fight for your kinsmen, your sons, your daughters, your wives and your homes.'
9 Once our enemies heard that we were forewarned and that God had thwarted their plan, they withdrew and we all went back to the wall, each one to his work.
16 At the same time I also told the people, 'Let every man, with his attendant, spend the night inside Jerusalem; we shall spend the night on guard and the day at work.'
17 Neither I, nor my brothers, nor my attendants, nor my bodyguards, ever took off our clothes; each one kept his spear in his right hand.
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 100:2, 3, 4, 5
Gospel, Luke 8:4-15
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- At UN, the Vatican asks all nations to help in fight against human ...
- Martyrs of Chalcedon: Saint of the Day for Sunday, September 24, 2017
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, September 26th, 2017 HD Video
- North Korea threatens to test H-Bomb over Pacific
- Daily Readings for Sunday, September 24, 2017
- Daily Reading for Monday, September 25th, 2017 HD Video
- It's time to regulate Facebook and other social media
- Woman photographs angel in flight, is it here to deliver a message? HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, September 24th, 2017 HD
- Hurricane Maria: The worst disaster for Puerto Rico HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, September 23rd, 2017 HD