Gregory VIII A Cistercian of noble birth, Albert de Mora was born in Benevento c. 1110 and was a legate to England, where he investigated the murder of Thomas ŕ Becket in 1170. Appointed chancellor in 1178, Cardinal de Mora was elected pope in 1187 and reigned for 57 days. Gregory initiated the Third Crusade and died while settling a dispute between Pisa and Genoa over the shipment of goods to the Holy Land.
Saint Feast Days by Month
Franciscan Capuchin martyr. He was born Mark Rey is Sigmaringen, Germany, in 1577. A practicing lawyer, he traveled across Europe as a tutor to aristocrats but then started defending the poor. In ... continue readingMore Saint of the Day
Born on October 16 1890 in Corinaldo, in the Ancona Province in Italy, her farmworker father moved his family to Ferrier di Conca, near Anzio. When he died of malaria, Maria's mother had to struggle to feed her children. Maria's mother, brothers, and sisters worked in ... continue readingMore Female Saints
Saint Michael the Archangel isn't a saint, but rather he is an angel, and the leader of all angels and of the army of God. This is what the title "Archangel" means, that he is above all the others in rank. St. Michael has four main responsibilities or offices, as we ... continue reading
St. Gabriel is an angel who serves as a messenger for God to certain people. He is one of the three archangels. Gabriel is mentioned in both the Old and the New Testaments of the Bible. First, in the Old Testament, Gabriel appears to the prophet Daniel to explain his ... continue reading
As a young lay woman in Coesfeld, Germany, Anne Catherine Emmerick, employed as a seamstress, daily attended Mass, visited the Blessed Sacrament, and in the late evening spent hour upon hour praying on her knees. Around midnight, she would leave her home to make the ... continue reading
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
The most kids know of St. Patrick 's Day is that you must wear green or you'll get a pinch from your friends. Adults see the day as an occasion to celebrate, sometimes with green beer and other assorted alcoholic beverages. However, few really know what they are ... continue readingMore Christian Saints & Heroes
More Christian Saints & Heroes
by Catholic Online
- Day 4 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD Video
- What 2017 releases will YOU watch this summer? - A FULL LIST of ...
- The Blessed Virgin or the Samaritan woman at the well? Ancient ...
- St. Mark: Saint of the Day for Tuesday, April 25, 2017
- Scientists discover a scary Antarctic mystery - how worried should we be?
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, April 26th, 2017 HD Video
- Daily Readings for Tuesday, April 25, 2017
- France's Presidential Runoff: Another choice between a nationalist and a globalist HD
- Day 3 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD
- Day 2 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD
- Day 1 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.