St. Sixtus II
A Roman of Greek descent, Sixtus was elected to the papacy in 257. He repaired the rift between the sees of Rome and Carthage that had developed over the issue of baptism and rebaptism. Like his predecessor Stephen, Sixtus believed that baptism is a once-in-a-lifetime event, but unlike Stephen, Sixtus tolerated those who rebaptized. The martyrdom of St. Sixtus was dramatic. Forbidden to hold services, he and his deacons continued to worship in the chapel in the cemetary of Prćtextatus. One day in 258, as the pope preached, soldiers broke into the chapel and beheaded Sixtus. Four of his eight attendants were also beheaded. The authorities executed another three later that day. St. Lawrence was martyred four days later.
Saint Feast Days by Month
St. Abigail, more commonly known as St. Gobnait or Deborah, was a medieval Irish saint born around the 6th century in County Clare, Ireland. According to tradition, Abigail's family was always feuding. This caused her to run away from home to settle on Inis Oirr in ... continue readingMore Female Saints
John the Baptist was a contemporary of Christ who was known for evangelization and his baptizing of Jesus Christ. John the Baptist was born through the intercession of God to Zachariah and Elizabeth, who was otherwise too old to bear children. According to scriptures, ... continue reading
John Baptist de la Salle was born at Rheims, France on April 30th. He was the eldest of ten children in a noble family. He studied in Paris and was ordained in 1678. He was known for his work with the poor. He died at St. Yon, Rouen, on April 7th. He was canonized by ... continue reading
By Deacon Keith Fournier
by Catholic Online
- How a Catholic should deal with Tinder and other dating apps
- 'Half-Man-Half-Beast sent by the Devil' sparks fear in South African ...
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, June 27th, 2017 HD Video
- Daily Readings for Sunday, June 25, 2017
- Daily Reading for Monday, June 26th, 2017 HD Video
- St. William of Vercelli: Saint of the Day for Sunday, June 25, 2017
- The end of the farm as we know it has arrived - here's how we're ...
- Daily Reading for Sunday, June 25th, 2017 HD
- Pope Francis prepares an incredible gift of love and solidarity for South Sudan HD
- St. Emma HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, June 24th, 2017 HD