Bl. John of Ruysbroeck
Bl. John of Ruysbroeck (1293-1381) was a mystic whose writings influenced the devotia moderna movement , which held that internal spiritual reflection was more important than ritual in deepening the spiritual life. Educated in Brussels, he was ordained to the priesthood c. 1317. He and two friends retired to Groenendael in 1343 to live more spiritual lives; in 1349, the group and its follo wers were established as a community of Augustinian canons. St. John's works include The Book of Extreme Truth and The Sparkling Stone. His most famous book, The Spiritual Espousals, uses the bridegroom metaphor to describe the relationship between the trinity and the faithful.
Saint Feast Days by Month
Nothing is known of St. James the Greater's early life, though it has been established that he is the son of Zebedee and Salome and brother of John the disciple. The title "the Greater" was added to ... continue readingMore Saint of the Day
St. Bernadette was born in Lourdes, France on January 7, 1844. Her parents were very poor and she was the first of nine children. She was baptized at St. Pierre's, the local parish church, on January 9. As a toddler, Bernadette contracted cholera and suffered extreme ... continue readingMore Female Saints
Saint Michael the Archangel isn't a saint, but rather he is an angel, and the leader of all angels and of the army of God. This is what the title "Archangel" means, that he is above all the others in rank. St. Michael has four main responsibilities or offices, as we ... continue reading
St. Gabriel is an angel who serves as a messenger for God to certain people. He is one of the three archangels. Gabriel is mentioned in both the Old and the New Testaments of the Bible. First, in the Old Testament, Gabriel appears to the prophet Daniel to explain his ... continue reading
Pope Saint Gregory I, also known as the Great, was the Pope of the Catholic Church between 590 and 604 AD. Gregory was born around 540 in Rome. The exact date of his birth is unknown. Although the Western Roman Empire had collapsed long before his birth, many ancient ... continue reading
By Marshall Connolly (CALIFORNIA NETWORK)
Tomorrow, July 26, is one year after the brutal murder of Fr. Jacques Hamel by ISIS-affiliated terrorists in France. The bishops of France are remembering him today. Reflecting on his passing, millions are asking, is he a saint? LOS ANGELES, CA (California Network) -- ... continue readingMore Christian Saints & Heroes
More Christian Saints & Heroes
by Catholic Online
- Chinese government says it will keep a firm grip on Catholic Church
- Sts. Joachim and Anne: Saint of the Day for Wednesday, July 26, 2017
- Shut off? What happened to the Vatican water supply! HD Video
- Daily Readings for Wednesday, July 26, 2017
- Daily Reading for Thursday, July 27th, 2017 HD Video
- One year later, is Fr. Jacques Hamel a saint?
- Do you have what it takes to become a Catholic celebrity?
- Pope Francis is set for something big, but what is it? HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, July 26th, 2017 HD
- Statues of the Virgin Mary triumphantly return to Iraq, after defeat of ISIS HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, July 25th, 2017 HD