Bl. Peter of Poitiers
Bishop of Poitiers. Not to be confused with the French theologian of the same name, Peter was named bishop in 1087 and distinguished himself for his willingness to stand firm against the counts of Poitou on issues of morality and proper conduct. He was quite outspoken in condemning the behavior of King Philip I and Count William IV Count William exiled Peter to the castle of Chauvigny in 1113 where the bishop died two years later. He was also a friend and patron of Blessed Robert d'Arbriselle, encouraging Robert in the founding of Fontevrault Abbey. While considered Blessed, Peter has technically never been beatified.
Saint Feast Days by Month
Saint Josephine Margaret Bakhita was born around 1869 in the village of Olgossa in the Darfur region of Sudan. She was a member of the Daju people and her uncle was a tribal chief. Due to her family lineage, she grew up happy and relatively prosperous, saying that as a ... continue readingMore Female Saints
St. John was born at Capistrano, Italy in 1385, the son of a former German knight in that city. He studied law at the University of Perugia and practiced as a lawyer in the courts of Naples. King Ladislas of Naples appointed him governor of Perugia. During a war with a ... continue reading
John Gonzales de Castrillo was born at Sahagun, Leon Spain. He was educated by the Benedictine monks of Fagondez monastery there and when twenty, received a canonry from the bishop of Burgos, though he already had several benefices. He was ordained in 1445; concerned ... continue reading
By Deacon Frederick Bartels
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Tuesday, August 22, 2017
- Statue of St. Serra vandalized, are Christian crosses next?
- St. Andrew the Scot: Saint of the Day for Tuesday, August 22, 2017
- Jerry Lewis passes away at 91, was most proud of his family HD Video
- 10 US Sailors missing after serious collision in Southeast Asian ...
- 'Annabelle: Creation': Catholic Exorcist discusses power of hit ...
- 'A Sign of the Times': A warning against 'expelling incoming ...
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017 HD
- Mother shares tragic photo of dying daughter as she pulled the plug on her life support HD
- Pope Francis asks for prayers following terror attacks in Spain HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017 HD