Evening Prayer #5 - by St. Alphonsus Liguori
how many nights have I slept in enmity with Thee?
in what a miserable state was my soul during that time!
it was hated by Thee,
and wished to be hated by Thee.
I was condemned to hell;
there was nothing wanting
but the execution of the sentence.
But Thou, my God,
hast never ceased to seek after me,
and invite me to pardon.
But who can assure me
that Thou hast pardoned me?
Must I, O my Jesus!
live in this uncertainty
till Thou dost judge me?
But the sorrow which I feel
for having offended Thee,
my desire to love Thee,
and still more,
O my beloved Redeemer!
make me hope that Thy grace dwells in my soul.
I am sorry for having offended Thee,
O Sovereign Good!
and I love Thee above all things.
I resolve to forfeit everything
rather than lost Thy grace and Thy love.
Thou dost wish that the heart
which seeks Thee should be full of joy.
"Let the heart of them rejoice that seek the Lord."
Lord, I detest all the injuries
I have offered to Thee.
Give me courage and confidence;
do not upbraid me with my ingratitude;
for I myself know and detest it.
Thou hast said that Thou willest not
the death of a sinner,
but that he be converted and live.
Yes, my God,
I leave all things and turn to Thee.
Give me Thy love;
I ask nothing else.
O Mary! thou, after Jesus, art my hope;
obtain for me holy perseverance.
More Evening Prayers
Showing 1 - 30 of 30
- Your candle will serve as a symbol of your sincere and prayerful intentions.
- Our prayer community will join you in prayer, multiplying the voices in petition with you.
- Your candle can be shared with friends and family, if you wish.
- These candles are perfect for loved ones, as memorials, and for those in need who are far away.
O God, Who has commanded us to honour our father and mother, have compassion in Thy mercy, on the souls of my father and mother; forgive them their sins, and grant that I may see them in the joy of eternal brightness. Through Christ our Lord. Amen. continue readingMore Prayer of the Day
In the centuries old Catholic tradition, holy cards or prayer cards are small, devotional cards for the use of the faithful. Prayer cards have an endless amount of use and make wonderful gifts and keepsakes.
Pick a Prayer Section
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Wednesday, May 24, 2017
- A message from Heaven: God is the only way to peace
- Bomb explodes during Ariana Grande concert full of young fans HD Video
- Daily Reading for Thursday, May 25th, 2017 HD Video
- St. David I of Scotland: Saint of the Day for Wednesday, May 24, 2017
- Which unique characteristic lies within Pope Francis' new cardinals?
- Pope vs. Trump: Monumental first meeting is full of surprises
- St. John Baptist de Rossi HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, May 24th, 2017 HD
- Fatima apparitions to be featured in dramatic new film HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, May 23rd, 2017 HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.