The University of Angers is, probably, a development of the cathedral school of that city. Early in the eleventh century this school became famous under the direction of Marbodus, afterwards Bishop of Rennes, and of Ulger, afterwards Bishop of Angers, both pupils of the renowned canonist, Fulbert de Chartres. It was enlarged in 1229 by an influx of students, many of them Englishmen, from the University of Paris , who sought in Angers a shelter from the direct control of the King of France. (See PARIS, UNIVERSITY OF.) Angers then became a centre for the study of civil law, and a studium generale , although it was officially recognized as such only in 1337, by an episcopal ordinance. It received in 1364 from King Charles V a charter granting the same privileges as those enjoyed by the University of Orléans. It was only in 1432 that a Bull of Eugene IV added the usual faculties of theology, medicine, and arts to the faculty of canon and civil law. This organization continued until the French Revolution . After the National Assembly had granted to all freedom of teaching (1 July, 1875), the French bishops decided to found five Catholic universities, and Angers, thanks to Bishop Freppel, was chosen for the western portion of France, including the Dioceses of Angers, Rennes, Laval, Le Mans, Angoulême, Tours, and Poitiers. The university then took the title of "Facultés Catholiques de l'Ouest." It comprises the faculties of letters, of sciences, and law, and a superior school of agriculture, with a teaching staff of 45 professors and from 200 to 300 students, most of whom are laymen belonging to the faculty of law. Angers has numbered among its faculty in the past Monsignor Sauve, author of numerous theological and philosophical works, Father Billot, now a professor in the Gregorian University at Rome, Father Antoine, author of a remarkable course of social economy, while it still retains Monsignor Legendre, an authority on biblical geography, and the distinguished novelist, René Bazin. The University publishes the "Revue des Facultés Catholiques de l'Ouest" and a "Bulletin des Facultés Catholiques de l'Ouest."
The Catholic Encyclopedia is the most comprehensive resource on Catholic teaching, history, and information ever gathered in all of human history. This easy-to-search online version was originally printed between 1907 and 1912 in fifteen hard copy volumes.
Designed to present its readers with the full body of Catholic teaching, the Encyclopedia contains not only precise statements of what the Church has defined, but also an impartial record of different views of acknowledged authority on all disputed questions, national, political or factional. In the determination of the truth the most recent and acknowledged scientific methods are employed, and the results of the latest research in theology, philosophy, history, apologetics, archaeology, and other sciences are given careful consideration.
No one who is interested in human history, past and present, can ignore the Catholic Church, either as an institution which has been the central figure in the civilized world for nearly two thousand years, decisively affecting its destinies, religious, literary, scientific, social and political, or as an existing power whose influence and activity extend to every part of the globe. In the past century the Church has grown both extensively and intensively among English-speaking peoples. Their living interests demand that they should have the means of informing themselves about this vast institution, which, whether they are Catholics or not, affects their fortunes and their destiny.
Copyright © Catholic Encyclopedia. Robert Appleton Company New York, NY. Volume 1: 1907; Volume 2: 1907; Volume 3: 1908; Volume 4: 1908; Volume 5: 1909; Volume 6: 1909; Volume 7: 1910; Volume 8: 1910; Volume 9: 1910; Volume 10: 1911; Volume 11: - 1911; Volume 12: - 1911; Volume 13: - 1912; Volume 14: 1912; Volume 15: 1912
Catholic Online Catholic Encyclopedia Digital version Compiled and Copyright © Catholic Online