ZIRCENSIS or BOCCON.
Cistercian abbey, situated in the Diocese of Veszprém , Hungary. The early history of the monastery is enveloped in much obscurity, as regards both names and dates, on account of its being so often referred to under both these titles. Whether Zircz and De Boccon were separate abbeys cannot now be definitely determined. It seems most probable that the foundation was made by Bela III, King of Hungary (1182), as the monastic domain was formerly a royal farm. Besides this grant, on which now stands the city of Zircz, many other donations were made to the nascent abbey, which soon became one of the most celebrated in the country. It was rich not only in temporal possessions but also in the spirit of fervour and religious regularity. This happy state continued for three centuries, but decadence set in before the end of the fifteenth century, and by 1526 the ravages of heresy had depopulated the monastery, not one religious remaining at the end of the year; the buildings and possessions passed into the hands of laymen. In the seventeenth century (1609) it was acquired by Canon Michael Monoszloy; thenceforth it remained the property of ecclesiastics, and in 1659 it was given to Holweis, Abbot of the Cistercian abbey at Lilienfeld, who appointed Martin Ujfalusy (1660) its abbot. From the jurisdiction of Lilienfeld it was transferred successively to that of Borsmonostor (1678) and Heinrichau (1700). From this latter abbey came a number of religious who gradually restored first the monastic buildings and church ( consecrated 1745) and then regular observance in its primitive vigour. In 1810 the community, in common with many others, was expelled, but was restored in 1814 under Abbot Antonius Dreta, from which time the abbey prospered more than ever before. Under his administration the abbeys at Pilis and Pasto were united to Zircz; as was likewise, in 1878, the abbey at Szentgotthard. Zircz is now governed by Dom Edmund Paul Vajda, elected 9 May, 1891, and is one of the most flourishing abbeys in Hungary. It contains 105 priests, 35 clerics, and 11 novices ; in all 151 choir members.
Biography Of St Lucy
The Catholic Encyclopedia is the most comprehensive resource on Catholic teaching, history, and information ever gathered in all of human history. This easy-to-search online version was originally printed in fifteen hardcopy volumes.
Designed to present its readers with the full body of Catholic teaching, the Encyclopedia contains not only precise statements of what the Church has defined, but also an impartial record of different views of acknowledged authority on all disputed questions, national, political or factional. In the determination of the truth the most recent and acknowledged scientific methods are employed, and the results of the latest research in theology, philosophy, history, apologetics, archaeology, and other sciences are given careful consideration.
No one who is interested in human history, past and present, can ignore the Catholic Church, either as an institution which has been the central figure in the civilized world for nearly two thousand years, decisively affecting its destinies, religious, literary, scientific, social and political, or as an existing power whose influence and activity extend to every part of the globe. In the past century the Church has grown both extensively and intensively among English-speaking peoples. Their living interests demand that they should have the means of informing themselves about this vast institution, which, whether they are Catholics or not, affects their fortunes and their destiny.
Copyright © Catholic Encyclopedia. Robert Appleton Company New York, NY. Volume 1: 1907; Volume 2: 1907; Volume 3: 1908; Volume 4: 1908; Volume 5: 1909; Volume 6: 1909; Volume 7: 1910; Volume 8: 1910; Volume 9: 1910; Volume 10: 1911; Volume 11: - 1911; Volume 12: - 1911; Volume 13: - 1912; Volume 14: 1912; Volume 15: 1912
Catholic Online Catholic Encyclopedia Digital version Compiled and Copyright © Catholic Online