Little is known about St. Zephyrinus, who was pope of Rome from c. 198 or 199 until 217. The antipope who opposed him, Hippolytus, says he was a simple and avaricious man. He adds that Zephyrinus relied too much on his deacon, Callixtus, who was in charge of the church's cemetary. Zephyrinus battled the heresies of adoptionism, modalism, and monarchianism; the antipope also accuses him of being a modalist.
Saint Feast Days by Month
Little is known about St. Matthew, except that he was the son of Alpheus, and he was likely born in Galilee. He worked as a tax collector, which was a hated profession during the time of ... continue readingMore Saint of the Day
St. Bernadette was born in Lourdes, France on January 7, 1844. Her parents were very poor and she was the first of nine children. She was baptized at St. Pierre's, the local parish church, on January 9. As a toddler, Bernadette contracted cholera and suffered extreme ... continue readingMore Female Saints
Saint Michael the Archangel isn't a saint, but rather he is an angel, and the leader of all angels and of the army of God. This is what the title "Archangel" means, that he is above all the others in rank. St. Michael has four main responsibilities or offices, as we ... continue reading
St. Gabriel is an angel who serves as a messenger for God to certain people. He is one of the three archangels. Gabriel is mentioned in both the Old and the New Testaments of the Bible. First, in the Old Testament, Gabriel appears to the prophet Daniel to explain his ... continue reading
According to her apochryphal tradition, she was a resident of Caesarea, Cappadocia, who when she refused to sacrifice to the gods during Emperor Diocletian's persecution of the Christians, was tortured by the governor and ordered executed. On the way to the place of ... continue reading
By Deacon Frederick Bartels
Why is the Assumption important? First, lets look at what this dogma is all about. On 1 November, 1950, Pope Pius XII issued the Apostolic Constitution Munificentissimus Deus in which he proclaimed the dogma of the Assumption: "Mary, the immaculate perpetually Virgin ... continue readingMore Christian Saints & Heroes
by Catholic Online
- We have unmasked the, foul-mouthed, liberal hypocrite Lawrence ...
- Daily Reading for Saturday, September 23rd, 2017 HD Video
- Hurricane Maria: The worst disaster for Puerto Rico HD Video
- St. Thomas of Villanueva: Saint of the Day for Friday, September 22, 2017
- Daily Readings for Friday, September 22, 2017
- With so many earthquakes, is California next?
- Pope Francis asks the intercession of Our Lady of Guadalupe following ...
- Terrifying earthquake collapses buildings in Mexico City, hundreds dead HD
- Daily Reading for Friday, September 22nd, 2017 HD
- Officials warn, 'evacuate or die' as Maria churns towards Puerto Rico HD
- Daily Reading for Thursday, September 21st, 2017 HD