Bl. Josaphat Kocylovskyj
Author and Publisher - Catholic Online
Blessed Josafat was born on March 3. 1876 in the village of Pakosivka (Poland), completed his theological studies in Rome and on October 9, 1907 he was ordained a priest.
He became vice-chancellor and professor of theology at the seminary of Stanislaviv currently Ivano-Frankivsk. On October 2, 1911 entered the Basilian where issued monastic vows, taking the name of Josafat, September 23, 1917 he was ordained bishop dell'Eparchia of Peremysl. In September 1945 he was arrested for the first time by the Communist authorities in Poland, but later released in 1946.
On February 11, 1946 thedeportation of Ukrainians living in Poland was ordered; Josafat Kocylovskyj was arrested a second time, imprisoned and deported to Kiev in Ukraine, where he became seriously ill with pneumonia. Later, he was transferred to the Capaivca labor camps (Kiev region), where he underwent continuous pressure to move to the Russian Orthodox Church. He died in the same camp as a result of cerebral hemorrhage at the age of 71 years, on November 17, 1947.
Saint Feast Days by Month
Saint Brigid was born Brigit, and shares a name with a Celtic goddess from whom many legends and folk customs are associated. There is much debate over her birthparents, but it is widely believed her mother was Brocca, a Christian baptized by Saint Patrick, and her ... continue readingMore Female Saints
Everything we know about the husband of Mary and the foster father of Jesus comes from Scripture and that has seemed too little for those who made up legends about him. We know he was a carpenter, a working man, for the skeptical Nazarenes ask about Jesus, "Is this ... continue reading
By CNA News
More Christian Saints & Heroes
by Catholic Online
- Vatican concerned over President Trump's decision in Israel
- Pope Saint Damasus I: Saint of the Day for Monday, December 11, 2017
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, December 12th, 2017 HD Video
- After 100 years of construction, the largest Catholic church in ...
- Here's how Pope Francis wants to change the Lords Prayer HD Video
- Prepare for the Lord: Advent is a time to prepare our hearts for the ...
- Daily Readings for Monday, December 11, 2017
- Daily Reading for Monday, December 11th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, December 10th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, December 9th, 2017 HD
- 200,000 people evacuated as California burns HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way