Author and Publisher - Catholic Online
Cypriot bishop, highly venerated on Cyprus. Demetrius was born in Sika, Cyprus. He became a monk at St. Anthony's Monastery when his wife died, and he was ordained. Demetrian served as abbot of the monastery for forty years and then became bishop of Khytri despite his objections. He ruled for twenty-five years. During a Saracen raid on Cyprus, Demetrian obtained the release of Christian captives who were destined to become slaves.
Saint Feast Days by Month
St. Bartholomew, 1st. century, one of the 12. All that is known of him with certainty is that he is mentioned in the synoptic gospels and Acts as one of the twelve apostles. His name, a ... continue readingMore Saint of the Day
Saint Brigid was born Brigit, and shares a name with a Celtic goddess from whom many legends and folk customs are associated. There is much debate over her birthparents, but it is widely believed her mother was Brocca, a Christian baptized by Saint Patrick, and her ... continue readingMore Female Saints
Saint Michael the Archangel isn't a saint, but rather he is an angel, and the leader of all angels and of the army of God. This is what the title "Archangel" means, that he is above all the others in rank. St. Michael has four main responsibilities or offices, as we ... continue reading
St. Gabriel is an angel who serves as a messenger for God to certain people. He is one of the three archangels. Gabriel is mentioned in both the Old and the New Testaments of the Bible. First, in the Old Testament, Gabriel appears to the prophet Daniel to explain his ... continue reading
Martyr whose Apologia, or defense of the faith, is considered one of the most priceless documents of the early Church. Apollonius was a Roman senator who was denounced as a Christian by one of his slaves. The Praetorian Prefect, Sextus Tigidius Perennis, arrested him, ... continue reading
By Deacon Frederick Bartels
Why is the Assumption important? First, lets look at what this dogma is all about. On 1 November, 1950, Pope Pius XII issued the Apostolic Constitution Munificentissimus Deus in which he proclaimed the dogma of the Assumption: "Mary, the immaculate perpetually Virgin ... continue readingMore Christian Saints & Heroes
by Catholic Online
- As terrorists attacked, one church opened its doors. Here's what ...
- Forget Winter, Recession is Coming
- In Barcelona, a church responded to a terrorist attack by opening its ...
- Archbishop reveals a surprise about Medjugorje HD Video
- Daily Readings for Thursday, August 24, 2017
- Priest admits to being former member of KKK, and speaks out about his ...
- St. Bartholomew: Saint of the Day for Thursday, August 24, 2017
- Trump announces new Afghan strategy - do we get to win this time? HD
- Does the Aug 21 eclipse spell doom for humanity? HD
- Daily Reading for Thursday, August 24th, 2017 HD
- 10 US Sailors missing after serious collision in Southeast Asian waters HD