The Prayer a Renewal of the Baptismal Vows
I was not then conscious of the precious grace bestowed upon me, nor of the awful obligations I contracted when I promised to renounce the devil, the world, and the flesh.
But I am now fully conscious of both; I most humbly thank Thee for having brought me safely to the waters of baptism, and I detest, from the bottom of my heart, every thought, word and action of my life which has been unworthy of a Christian.
Thou knowest, O my God, how often I have stained the robe of innocence with which I was then clothed, and how frequently I have violated my sacred promises; but Thou seest the contrition of my heart, and the sincerity with which I now renew, in the presence of heaven and earth, my profession of faith in the doctrines proposed to my belief by the Holy Catholic Church; as well as the promises made for me when I was regenerated in the waters of baptism.
I firmly believe in God the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth; in Jesus Christ, His only Son our Lord, Who was born and suffered for us; in the Holy Ghost; the holy Catholic Church; the Communion of Saints; the forgiveness of sins; the Resurrection of the body, and life everlasting.
I renounce the world, with its pomps, vanities, and false maxims, which I despise because they are accursed by Thee.
I renounce the flesh, with all its temptations, and sincerely resolve to endeavour to amend my faults, to conquer my passions, and to sacrifice all that is most dear to me rather than again deliberately sully that robe which I promised to carry unstained before the judgment seat of Christ.
O my good God, Who didst love me before I could love Thee, and didst apply to my soul the merits, of Jesus Christ when I was unable to implore that favour, look on me with compassion, and grant me all those graces, which will enable me to keep my baptismal engagement without reproof.
Increase in my soul the heavenly virtues of faith, hope and charity, which I received at baptism, and teach me to make faith the rule of my conduct, that it may avail me to life everlasting; through the infinite mercies and merits of my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, Who, with Thee and the Holy Ghost, liveth and reigneth, one God, world without end.
More Baptism Prayers
Showing 1 - 7 of 7
Watch Abducted priest makes impassioned plea to Pope Francis -- JOIN US IN PRAYER for his release! HD
- Your candle will serve as a symbol of your sincere and prayerful intentions.
- Our prayer community will join you in prayer, multiplying the voices in petition with you.
- Your candle can be shared with friends and family, if you wish.
- These candles are perfect for loved ones, as memorials, and for those in need who are far away.
We adore you, O Christ, and we bless you; because by your Cross you have redeemed the world. Heart of Jesus, I place all my trust in you. My Jesus Mercy! Sweet Heart of Mary, be my salvation! Jesus, Mary, Joseph, I give you my heawrt and my soul. Jesus, Mary, Joseph, assist me in my ... continue readingMore Prayer of the Day
In the centuries old Catholic tradition, holy cards or prayer cards are small, devotional cards for the use of the faithful. Prayer cards have an endless amount of use and make wonderful gifts and keepsakes.
Pick a Prayer Section
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Tuesday, May 23, 2017
- Is Callista Gingrich the best choice for the new U.S. Ambassador to ...
- St. John Baptist de Rossi HD Video
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, May 24th, 2017 HD Video
- Artist creates breathtaking model of St. Peter's Square
- St. John Baptist de Rossi: Saint of the Day for Tuesday, May 23, 2017
- Pope Francis urges Christians to act with gentleness and respect
- Fatima apparitions to be featured in dramatic new film HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, May 23rd, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, May 22nd, 2017 HD
- U2 lead singer, Bono endorses Psalms message HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.