Once you have completed your Examination
Of Conscience, and you have told God
that you are deeply sorry for your sins, enter the confessional box (or reconciliation
You may either:
- Kneel before the screen, or
- Sit so you can talk face to face to the priest.
You begin by saying these words (or similar ones.)
"I confess to Almighty God
and to you, Father, that I have sinned. My last confession
was ______________ weeks (months, years) ago."
You say one of the following:
"Since then, I do not recall committing any mortal sins."
"Since then, I have committed mortal sins.
They are..." (mention the sins, how many times they were committed and related circumstances.)
"My venial sins are..." (mention the sins and the number of times.)
"I do not recall having committed any venial sins"
"For these and all the sins that I have committed during my life, I am deeply sorry." Then listen to the words of the priest. When invited to do so, make an Act Of Contrition.
("O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended You. I detest all my sins because I dread the loss of Heaven
and the pains of hell. But most of all because they offend You, my God, Who are all good
and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Your grace
no more and to avoid the near occasions of sin. Amen.")
- Listen to the priest's words of forgiveness (absolution), and
- Make the Sign of the Cross with the priest.
If the priest
says, "Give thanks to the Lord
for He is good,"
"For His mercy endures forever."
Then you leave the confessional box (reconciliation room) and you say the penance
that the priest
Four things to know about your candle on Catholic Online:
Light your own Candle
- Your candle will serve as a symbol of your sincere and prayerful intentions.
- Our prayer community will join you in prayer, multiplying the voices in petition with you.
- Your candle can be shared with friends and family, if you wish.
- These candles are perfect for loved ones, as memorials, and for those in need who are far away.
You expired, O Jesus,
but the source of life gushed forth for souls
and an ocean of mercy opened up for the whole world.
O Fount of Life,
unfathomable Divine Mercy,
envelop the whole world
and empty Yourself out upon us.
O Blood and Water,
which gushed forth from the Heart of Jesus
as a ... continue reading
More Prayer of the Day
In the centuries old Catholic tradition, holy cards or prayer cards are small, devotional cards for the use of the faithful. Prayer cards have an endless amount of use and make wonderful gifts and keepsakes.
More Prayer Cards