The Prayer Stabat Mater Dolorosa
Stood the mournful Mother weeping,
Close to Jesus to the last.
Through her Heart, His sorrow sharing,
All His bitter anguish bearing,
Lo! the piercing sword had passed.
O how sad and sore distressed
Was that Mother, highly blessed,
Of the Sole-Begotten One.
Mournful, with Heart's prostration,
Mother meek, the bitter Passion
Saw She of Her glorious Son.
Who on Christ's dear Mother gazing,
In Her trouble so amazing,
Born of woman, would not weep?
Who on Christ's dear Mother thinking,
Such a cup of sorrow drinking,
Would not share Her sorrow deep?
For His people's sins rejected,
Saw Her Jesus unprotected.
Saw with thorns, with scourges rent.
Saw Her Son from judgement taken,
Her Beloved in death forsaken,
Till His Spirit forth He sent.
Fount of love and holy sorrow,
Mother, may my spirit borrow
Somewhat of your woe profound.
Unto Christ with pure emotion,
Raise my contrite heart's devotion,
To read love in every wound.
Those Five Wounds on Jesus smitten,
Mother! in my heart be written,
Deep as in your own they be.
You, your Saviour's Cross did bare,
You, your Son's rebuke did share.
Let me share them both with Thee.
In the Passion of my Maker,
Be my sinful soul partaker,
Weep 'til death and weep with you.
Mine with you be that sad station,
There to watch the great salvation,
Wrought upon the atoning Tree.
Virgin, you of virgins fairest,
May the bitter woe Thou bearest
Make on me impression deep.
Thus Christ's dying may I carry,
With Him in His Passion tarry,
And His Wounds in memory keep.
May His Wound both wound and heal me,
He enkindle, cleanse, strengthen me,
By His Cross my hope and stay.
May He, when the mountains quiver,
From that flame which burns forever,
Shield me on the Judgement Day.
Jesus, may Your Cross defend me,
And Your Mother's prayer befriend me;
Let me die in Your embrace.
When to dust my dust returns,
Grant a soul, that to You yearns,
In Your paradise a place.
More Other Prayers
Showing 1 - 90 of 90
- Your candle will serve as a symbol of your sincere and prayerful intentions.
- Our prayer community will join you in prayer, multiplying the voices in petition with you.
- Your candle can be shared with friends and family, if you wish.
- These candles are perfect for loved ones, as memorials, and for those in need who are far away.
In the centuries old Catholic tradition, holy cards or prayer cards are small, devotional cards for the use of the faithful. Prayer cards have an endless amount of use and make wonderful gifts and keepsakes.
Pick a Prayer Section
by Catholic Online
- Daily Reading for Friday, April 28th, 2017 HD Video
- Pope Francis surprises with TED Talk appearance and powerful message ...
- Has the Trump administration betrayed the Little Sisters of the Poor?
- Wait, what? Did Pope Francis just buy a private beach? Yes he did, ...
- Daily Readings for Thursday, April 27, 2017
- The Saint Pio Foundation to Honor Hon. Rick and Karen Santorum and ...
- St. Zita: Saint of the Day for Thursday, April 27, 2017
- Day 6 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD
- Daily Reading for Thursday, April 27th, 2017 HD
- Cherokee Nation sues drug distributors while CDC claims opioid deaths are underreported HD
- Day 5 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.