Vicariate apostolic in German East Africa, separated from the Vicariate Apostolic of Nyanza by a Decree of Propaganda, 30 December, 1886. Its limits, as fixed on 10 December, 1895, were: on the N. the Vicariate Apostolic of Southern Nyanza; on the S. a line drawn from Lake Manjara (36°E.) along the mountain ridges to the N. W. of Ugago; on the S. the northern limits of Ujanzi, Ugunda, Ugetta, Uvenza, and Ujiji; on the W. Lake Tanganika and the eastern boundary of the Congo Free State to the village of Ruanda. This district was originally included in the Vicariate of Tanganika; in 1879 R.P. Ganachan of the White Fathers penetrated this hitherto unknown region and endeavoured to settle at Tabora, but was unsuccessful; two years later R.P. Guillet succeeded and opened an orphanage there, which was shortly afterwards transferred to Kipalapala one league distant; in 1844 R.P. Lourdel settled at Djiue-la-Singa, but the post was abandoned on 13 March, 1885. On 11 January, 1887, the mission of Unyanyembe was separated from Tanganika, with R.P. Girault as superior of the provicariate; on 23 August, 1887, Mgr Charbonnier was consecrated bishop in the Kipalapala orphanage chapel by Mgr Livinhac of Uganda; this was the first episcopal consecration in Equatorial Africa. The station at Kipalapala was destroyed in 1889 by the natives. Two years later it was restored, and another was opened at Uchirombo. Towards the close of 1897 five Sisters of Notre-Dame d'Afrique arrived at Uchirombo. In 1900 there were in this mission 20 priests, 6 nuns, 49 catechists, 1842 neophytes, 6000 catechumens, and 150 children in the schools. A German scientist, Dr. Kandt, a Protestant, was so impressed by the good work of the Catholic missionaries that he presented his estate at Tabora to the vicar Apostolic to found a school and hospital. The present and first vicar Apostolic, Mgr François Gerboin, of the White Fathers , born in 1847 and consecrated titular Bishop of Turbubto in 1897, resides at Ushirombo.
Mission statistics (1905): 33 priests ; 7 lay brothers ; 6 nuns ; 72 catechists; 26 schools with 966 pupils; 11 hospitals ; 5 leper houses; 17 orphanages with 325 children rescued from slavery ; 3,000,000 infidels ; 3678 Catholics ; 2889 catechumens.
The Catholic Encyclopedia is the most comprehensive resource on Catholic teaching, history, and information ever gathered in all of human history. This easy-to-search online version was originally printed in fifteen hardcopy volumes.
Designed to present its readers with the full body of Catholic teaching, the Encyclopedia contains not only precise statements of what the Church has defined, but also an impartial record of different views of acknowledged authority on all disputed questions, national, political or factional. In the determination of the truth the most recent and acknowledged scientific methods are employed, and the results of the latest research in theology, philosophy, history, apologetics, archaeology, and other sciences are given careful consideration.
No one who is interested in human history, past and present, can ignore the Catholic Church, either as an institution which has been the central figure in the civilized world for nearly two thousand years, decisively affecting its destinies, religious, literary, scientific, social and political, or as an existing power whose influence and activity extend to every part of the globe. In the past century the Church has grown both extensively and intensively among English-speaking peoples. Their living interests demand that they should have the means of informing themselves about this vast institution, which, whether they are Catholics or not, affects their fortunes and their destiny.
Copyright © Catholic Encyclopedia. Robert Appleton Company New York, NY. Volume 1: 1907; Volume 2: 1907; Volume 3: 1908; Volume 4: 1908; Volume 5: 1909; Volume 6: 1909; Volume 7: 1910; Volume 8: 1910; Volume 9: 1910; Volume 10: 1911; Volume 11: - 1911; Volume 12: - 1911; Volume 13: - 1912; Volume 14: 1912; Volume 15: 1912
Catholic Online Catholic Encyclopedia Digital version Compiled and Copyright © Catholic Online