Innocent VIII A Genoan born in 1432, Giovanni Battista Cibň was the son of a Roman senator and served in the court of Naples as a youth. Educated at Padua and Rome, he was made a cardinal in 1473 by Sixtus IV. A compromise candidate, Cibň was elected pope in 1484. As Pope Innocent VIII, he created and sold curial offices to end a fiscal crisis begun under Sixtus IV, whom he succeeded. Innocent married his illegitimate children into the princely families, and he was responsible for an increase in the persecution of "witches" in Germany. He agreed in 1489 to hold Sultan Bayezid II's brother prisoner in Rome in exchange for a yearly ransom and the lance of Longinus. Innocent recognized Henry Tudor as Henry VII of England and banned discussion of the works of Pico della Mirandola. In 1492, when the Spanish drove the Moors from Grenada, Innocent proclaimed a jubilee. Innocent died in July of that year.
Saint Feast Days by Month
St. Vincent Pallotti, Priest (Feast - January 22) Born in Rome in 1795, St. Vincent became a priest and dedicated himself completely to God and cared for souls. He dreamed of gaining for Christ all ... continue readingMore Saint of the Day
Gemma Galgani was born on March 12, 1878, in a small Italian town near Lucca. At a very young age, Gemma developed a love for prayer. She made her First Communion on June 17, 1887. As a pupil at the school run by the Sisters of St. Zita, Gemma was loved by her teachers ... continue readingMore Female Saints
Saint Michael the Archangel isn't a saint, but rather he is an angel, and the leader of all angels and of the army of God. This is what the title "Archangel" means, that he is above all the others in rank. St. Michael has four main responsibilities or offices, as we ... continue reading
St. Gabriel is an angel who serves as a messenger for God to certain people. He is one of the three archangels. Gabriel is mentioned in both the Old and the New Testaments of the Bible. First, in the Old Testament, Gabriel appears to the prophet Daniel to explain his ... continue reading
Cecilia Yu So-sa was born in Seoul, , in 1761. Cecilia was a married woman, her children were the Saints Hasang Paul Chong and Jung Hye. When Cecilia was widowed, she was deprived of all her possessions and imprisoned because of her Christian faith. Twelve times she ... continue reading
When the father of this Italian saint died, his good mother brought up her twelve children well, even though they were very poor. "Oh, if I could only have the joy of seeing one of you become a saint!" she use to say. Once when she asked as usual, "which one of you is ... continue reading
By Antonio Anup Gonsalves (CNA)
For over four centuries, a historical and iconic miraculous statue of Jesus Christ carrying his Cross has become an emblem of passion, struggle and faith for Filipino Catholics. Manila, Philippines (CNA) - The life-size statue of Jesus is enshrined in the famous minor ... continue readingMore Christian Saints & Heroes
by Catholic Online
- The government shutdown continues, but bombs still drop, surveillance ...
- The shocking numbers that reveal why poverty is here to stay HD Video
- St. Vincent Pallotti: Saint of the Day for Monday, January 22, 2018
- Daily Readings for Monday, January 22, 2018
- Science is transforming the pro-life debate for the better HD Video
- Income inequality - Here's why world poverty and hunger remain a ...
- Pope Francis in Peru invites us to be saints
- Give God control: 20 verses to help during anxiety and fear
- Catholic Church issues new guidelines for cremation. Here's what you ...
- 14 years later: Extreme and horrific child abuse victim, Lauren ...
- Here are 10 Very Interesting Facts About the Catholic Church You ...
- 8 encouraging Bible verses to lift you up
- Daily Reading for Monday, January 22nd, 2018 HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, January 23rd, 2018 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, January 21st, 2018 HD
- Jobless claims are down - what does that mean for workers? HD
The Encyclical Letter of the Holy Father Francis
The Encyclical Letter of the Holy Father Francis - Laudato ... @ $0.00
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way
Teacher lesson plans & resources
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education