In order to break the cycle of poverty, we must first start with the heart. Catholic Online School is something very special, providing FREE Catholic Education to anyone, anywhere. Learn more about the Catholic Online School
Help us create new hope with your donation. This year, please consider making a donation of $5, $20, $50 or whatever you can to support Catholic Online School. Support Catholic Online School
A Devotion in Honour of the Sorrowful Heart of Mary
1. I compassionate Thee, sorrowing Mary, for that affliction which thy tender heart suffered at the time of the prophecy of the holy old man Simeon. O dear Mother, by thy heart thus afflicted, obtain for me the virtue of humility, and the gift of the fear of God.
2. I compassionate thee, sorrowing Mary, for those bitter pangs which thy most feeling heart suffered in thy flight and sojourn in Egypt. O dear Mother, by thy heart immersed in so great sorrows, obtain for me the virtue of liberality, especially towards the poor, and the gift of piety.
3. I compassionate thee, sorrowing Mary, for those griefs which thy solicitous heart experienced in the loss of thy beloved Son. O dear Mother, by thy heart filled with maternal anxieties, obtain for me the virtue of chastity and the gift of knowledge.
4. I compassionate thee, sorrowing Mary, for that sorrow which oppressed thy maternal heart, in meeting Jesus carrying His Cross. O dear Mother, by thy most loving heart, so much afflicted, obtain for me the virtue of patience, and the gift of fortitude.
5. I compassionate thee, sorrowing Mary, for that martyrdom which thy generous heart sustained, in being present with thine agonizing Jesus. O dear Mother, by thy heart undergoing so severe a martyrdom, obtain for me the virtue of temperance, and the gift of counsel.
6. I compassionate thee, sorrowing Mary, for those pangs which thine afflicted heart endured, when the lance pierced the side of Jesus, and wounded His most amiable Heart. O dear Mother, by thy heart transfixed, obtain for me the virtue of fraternal charity, and the gift of understanding.
7. I compassionate thee, sorrowing Mary, for that anguish which thy loving heart experienced in the burial of Jesus. O dear Mother, by thy sacred heart, thus steeped in bitter grief, obtain for me the virtue of diligence, and the gift of wisdom.
V. Pray for us, O most sorrowful Virgin, R. That we may be made worthy of the promise of Christ.
Let Us Pray, - We beseech Thee, O Lord Jesus Christ, that the Blessed Virgin Mary whose heart at the time of Thy passion was pierced through with the sword of sorrow, may intercede for us before the throne of mercy, now and at the hour of our death; who, with the Father and the Holy Ghost, livest and reignest, one God, world without end.
More Devotion Prayers
Showing 1 - 16 of 16
A Guide for Confession
Browser Prayers by Section
Prayer of the Day
How to pray the Rosary
El Rosario Santo
Sign of the Cross
The Way - The First Christians
The Chaplet of Divine Mercy
Stations of the Cross
by Catholic Online
- Commission recommends Church end priestly celibacy and confession to ...
- Daily Readings for Sunday, December 17, 2017
- Church reviews possible Catholic hospital mega-merger
- St. Olympias: Saint of the Day for Sunday, December 17, 2017
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, December 19th, 2017 HD Video
- Indonesia rejects law that would criminalize sex outside of marriage
- Australia asks Church to end celibacy and confession to fight child ...
- Daily Reading for Monday, December 18th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, December 17th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, December 16th, 2017 HD
- The Net Neutrality Scam: Get ready to pay a lot more for a lot less HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way