A Devotion in Honour of the Sorrowful Heart of Mary
1. I compassionate Thee, sorrowing Mary, for that affliction which thy tender heart suffered at the time of the prophecy of the holy old man Simeon. O dear Mother, by thy heart thus afflicted, obtain for me the virtue of humility, and the gift of the fear of God.
2. I compassionate thee, sorrowing Mary, for those bitter pangs which thy most feeling heart suffered in thy flight and sojourn in Egypt. O dear Mother, by thy heart immersed in so great sorrows, obtain for me the virtue of liberality, especially towards the poor, and the gift of piety.
3. I compassionate thee, sorrowing Mary, for those griefs which thy solicitous heart experienced in the loss of thy beloved Son. O dear Mother, by thy heart filled with maternal anxieties, obtain for me the virtue of chastity and the gift of knowledge.
4. I compassionate thee, sorrowing Mary, for that sorrow which oppressed thy maternal heart, in meeting Jesus carrying His Cross. O dear Mother, by thy most loving heart, so much afflicted, obtain for me the virtue of patience, and the gift of fortitude.
5. I compassionate thee, sorrowing Mary, for that martyrdom which thy generous heart sustained, in being present with thine agonizing Jesus. O dear Mother, by thy heart undergoing so severe a martyrdom, obtain for me the virtue of temperance, and the gift of counsel.
6. I compassionate thee, sorrowing Mary, for those pangs which thine afflicted heart endured, when the lance pierced the side of Jesus, and wounded His most amiable Heart. O dear Mother, by thy heart transfixed, obtain for me the virtue of fraternal charity, and the gift of understanding.
7. I compassionate thee, sorrowing Mary, for that anguish which thy loving heart experienced in the burial of Jesus. O dear Mother, by thy sacred heart, thus steeped in bitter grief, obtain for me the virtue of diligence, and the gift of wisdom.
V. Pray for us, O most sorrowful Virgin, R. That we may be made worthy of the promise of Christ.
Let Us Pray, - We beseech Thee, O Lord Jesus Christ, that the Blessed Virgin Mary whose heart at the time of Thy passion was pierced through with the sword of sorrow, may intercede for us before the throne of mercy, now and at the hour of our death; who, with the Father and the Holy Ghost, livest and reignest, one God, world without end.
More Devotion Prayers
Showing 1 - 16 of 16
- Your candle will serve as a symbol of your sincere and prayerful intentions.
- Our prayer community will join you in prayer, multiplying the voices in petition with you.
- Your candle can be shared with friends and family, if you wish.
- These candles are perfect for loved ones, as memorials, and for those in need who are far away.
Glorious St. Joseph, model of all those who are devoted to labour, obtain for me the grace to work conscientiously, putting the call of duty above my many sins; to work with thankfulness and joy, considering it an honour to employ and develop, by means of labour, the gifts received from God; ... continue readingMore Prayer of the Day
In the centuries old Catholic tradition, holy cards or prayer cards are small, devotional cards for the use of the faithful. Prayer cards have an endless amount of use and make wonderful gifts and keepsakes.
Pick a Prayer Section
by Catholic Online
- Pope Francis arrives in Egypt with powerful message HD Video
- St. Pius V, Pope: Saint of the Day for Sunday, April 30, 2017
- Enter Into Intimate Communion with Christ: It's the Only Way to Live
- Catherine of Siena: We Need Saints for this Missionary Age
- Daily Readings for Sunday, April 30, 2017
- Deacon Keith Fournier: Road to Emmaus - Jesus Walks with Us on the ...
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, May 2nd, 2017 HD Video
- Daily Reading for Monday, May 1st, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, April 30th, 2017 HD
- Day 9 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD
- Day 8 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.