Pope John Paul II Homily at Ordination of 26 Priests
"Jesus Must Always Be the Center of Your Life"
VATICAN CITY, MAY 3, 2004 - Here is a translation of the homily John Paul II delivered at a Mass today in St. Peter's Basilica, during which he ordained 26 new priests of the Diocese of Rome.
* * *
1. The Good Shepherd is risen, who gave his life for his sheep ... Alleluia" (Communion Antiphon).
Today the liturgy invites us to fix our gaze on Christ, the Good Shepherd. "Agnus redemit oves," the Easter Sequence sings: "The Lamb has redeemed his flock." The only begotten Son of the Father, the Good Shepherd of humanity, who died on the cross rose on the third day.
This is the Good News that the Apostles brought to all people, beginning in Jerusalem, animated by the power of the Holy Spirit (see Luke 24:47-49). This is the joyful announcement that continues to resound at the beginning of the third millennium. From the look full of compassion of Christ, the risen Good Shepherd, comes to the Church the gift and mystery of the vocation to the pastoral ministry.
2. Dear deacons, who in a short while will be ordained priests, from this same gift of love is born your call to the priesthood. I welcome you with affection and greet you individually. I greet the cardinal vicar, monsignor the deputy director, the members of the diocesan episcopal council. I greet the rectors and superiors of the Pontifical Major Roman Seminary, of the diocesan seminary "Redemptoris Mater," of the Almo Collegio Capranica, and of the Oblates Sons of Our Lady of Divine Love, who were responsible for your formation.
I greet Cardinal Andrzej Maria Deskur and the formators of the "Priestly Fraternity of the Sons of the Cross," as I also greet and thank the superiors and formators of the Pontifical Institute for Foreign Missions.
I wish to express my heartfelt gratitude to your families, to the priests who have looked after the formation and growth of your faith and to all those who, together with your parish communities and ecclesial institutions to which you belong, have helped you to discover the "gift and mystery" of your vocation, and to say yes to the Lord's call.
3. You are becoming priests at a time when, also here in Rome, strong cultural tendencies seem to want to make one forget God, especially among young people and families. But do not be afraid: God will always be with you! With his help you will be able to walk on the ways that lead to the heart of every man and to proclaim to him that the Good Shepherd has given his life for him and wishes him to participate in his mystery of love and salvation.
To carry out this work, which is so necessary, Jesus must always be the center of your life and you must remain in intimate union with him through prayer, daily personal meditation, faithfulness to the Liturgy of the Hours and especially the daily devout celebration of the Eucharist. If you are full of God, you will be true apostles of the new evangelization, because no one can give what he does not have in his heart.
May Mary, the dear Mother of the Good Shepherd, toward whom I invite you to nourish always a filial devotion, accompany you and watch over you constantly. Amen
http://www.catholic.org , VA
Pope John Paul II - Holy See, 661 869-1000
Pope, Homily, Ordination, Priests
More Catholic PRWire
Showing 1 - 50 of 4,718
A Recession Antidote
Monaco & The Vatican: Monaco's Grace Kelly Exhibit to Rome--A Review of Monegasque-Holy See Diplomatic History
Dna. Maria St. Catherine Sharpe, t.o.s.m., T.O.SS.T.
A Royal Betrayal: Catholic Monaco Liberalizes Abortion
Dna. Maria St.Catherine De Grace Sharpe, t.o.s.m., T.O.SS.T.
Embrace every moment as sacred time
Mary Regina Morrell
Letting go is simple wisdom with divine potential
Mary Regina Morrell
Father Lombardi's Address on Catholic Media
Pope's Words to Pontifical Latin American College
Prelate: Genetics Needs a Conscience
State Aid for Catholic Schools: Help or Hindrance?
Scorsese Planning Movie on Japanese Martyrs
2 Nuns Kidnapped in Kenya Set Free
Holy See-Israel Negotiation Moves Forward
Franchising to Evangelize
Catholics Decry Anti-Christianity in Israel
Pope and Gordon Brown Meet About Development Aid
Pontiff Backs Latin America's Continental Mission
Cardinal Warns Against Anti-Catholic Education
Three words to a deeper faith
Relections for Lent 2009
Wisdom lies beyond the surface of life
Mary Regina Morrell
World Food Program Director on Lent
Pope's Lenten Message for 2009
Keeping a Lid on Permissiveness
Glimpse of Me
The 3 stages of life
Sex and the Married Woman
A Catholic Woman Returns to the Church
Modernity & Morality
Just a Minute
Catholic identity ... triumphant reemergence!
Edging God Out
Burying a St. Joseph Statue
George Bush Speaks on Papal Visit
Sometimes moving forward means moving the canoe
Mary Regina Morrell
Easter... A Way of Life
Papal initiative...peace and harmony!
Proclaim the mysteries of the Resurrection!
Jerusalem Patriarch's Easter Message
Good Friday Sermon of Father Cantalamessa
Papal Address at the End of the Way of the Cross
Cardinal Zen's Meditations for Via Crucis
Interview With Vatican Aide on Jewish-Catholic Relations
Pope Benedict XVI On the Easter Triduum
by Catholic Online
- Prisoners use lunch with Pope Francis to escape HD Video
- Respecting life demands linking all life issues
- St. Paul of the Cross: Saint of the Day for Friday, October 20, 2017
- Profit For The Common Good
- Daily Reading for Saturday, October 21st, 2017 HD Video
- Cardinal shares the Five Keys to Catholic Education
- Daily Readings for Friday, October 20, 2017
- Deacon Keith invites you... HD
- It was the Clintons! Clinton family took millions in bribes from Russia to sell off U.S. uranium HD
- Daily Reading for Friday, October 20th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Thursday, October 19th, 2017 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way