The Apostolic Letter of Pius IX, by which he summoned the Vatican Council. It is dated Rome, 29 June, 1868. It begins with the same words, and is therefore quoted under the same title, as the Encyclical of Leo XIII on scholastic philosophy. But their purpose and substance are very different. This letter begins by pointing out the provision which Christ made to have His faith and morals taught, and unity in both secured. He commissioned the Apostles to teach. He placed St. Peter at their head, as Prince of the Apostles. It was an office for the sake of the Church, and, after St. Peter had died, should live on in the persons of a series of successors, one after the other. Hence the same supreme power, jurisdiction, and primacy are transmitted to the Roman Pontiffs who sit in the Chair of Peter. Hence the Roman Pontiffs have always, as their office demands, guarded the Christian faith and Christian morals. Hence, as occasion required, they have summoned General Councils to meet grave needs of the Church. Then follows a rapid review of the existing dangers to faith and morals, to remedy which Pius IX issues this letter summoning the bishops, and others whose right or duty it is to be present, to a General Council to meet in the Basilica of St. Peter in Rome, on the 8th of December, 1869, the anniversary of the definition of the Immaculate Conception. This letter must not be confounded with the Decree Pastor Æternus which was issued by Pius IX at the close of the Council, the following year, and in which the dogma of Papal Infallibility was defined.
More Volume: 0
Click/Touch the sub-volume below to view encyclopedia articles within the sub-volume.
by Catholic Online
- President Donald Trump breaks record for most prayers in inaugural ...
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 HD Video
- Pope Francis refers to Martin Luther to spread important message for ...
- Daily Readings for Sunday, January 22, 2017
- Our Bishops Invite YOU to Make a Digital Pilgrimage: 9 Days for Life
- St. Vincent Pallotti: Saint of the Day for Sunday, January 22, 2017
- Defying abortion one life at a time - New pro-life show attempts to ...
- We Help Writers Become Authors. Get Your Free Christian Publishing Guide
- Daily Reading for Monday, January 23rd, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, January 22nd, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, January 21st, 2017 HD
- Desperate, hopeless mother-to-be receives miracle after praying novena to St. Joseph & St. Gerard HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.