Netflix losing movies: Even less to watch?
Popular by-mail movie service losing 2,000 movies today
The popular movie mail rental service Netflix has dropped somewhat in popularity with fee increases, and is now set to take another hit: the Netflix streaming catalog is set to lose about 2,000 films from its streaming catalog. After Netflix and Starz were unable to renew their streaming agreements, more than a 1,000 films disappeared from the service. This includes many of the newer films in Netflix's streaming catalog.
Netflix CEO, Reed Hastings, in an earlier pose from 2005, has disappointed some subscribers with fee hikes. The service is now set to drop 2,000 titles from its streaming library.
Licensing issues are the chief reason that these films will no longer be offered. The titles belong to Warner Bros., MGM and Universal. While one source reports that these titles will soon only be accessible through the Warner Archive Instant service, this appears to not be the case. Warner Instant wishes to emphasize that their service doesn't carry titles from MGM or Universal; its catalog is Warner Bros. only. The titles disappearing from Netflix, the service said in a recent Tweet, won't be coming over to Warner Instant Archive right away.
Netflix users are familiar with such setbacks. The company lost a big bulk of high-profile titles when its deal with Starz expired in 2012. The quality of the films on Netflix, some say, is rather dubious, such as stale action pics and grade-Z horror films. That will be of little consolation to those that sit down to watch a movie only to find out that it's disappeared.
This development could be a trend. Netflix CEO Reed Hastings said earlier this month said that he was considering letting a broad television deal with Viacom Networks lapse, meaning shows from Nickelodeon, MTV, VH1 and BET could all disappear from the service at the end of this month.
"Netflix is a dynamic service, we constantly update the TV shows and movies that are available to our members. We will add more than 500 titles May 1, but we also have titles expiring, this ebb and flow happens all the time.
"We are selective about what's available to watch on Netflix. We often license TV shows and movies on an exclusive basis, so we can provide a unique experience. We'll forego, or choose not renew, titles that aren't watched enough. We always use our knowledge about what our members love to watch to decide what's available on Netflix. Our goal is to be an expert programmer, offering a mix that delights our members, rather than trying to be a broad distributor."
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Movies News
- 'Fast & Furious' star Paul Walker killed in 'possible street race'
- 'Catching Fire' sets November opening box-office record
- 'Catching Fire' is expected to do just that, at box offices worldwide
- You get to keep that DVD - forever! Blockbuster Video to shut down altogether
- Captain Phillipps, el nuevo filme de Tom Hanks, retrata heroísmo de marino católico
- 'Gravity' holds on to the top spot this movie weekend
- 'Gravity' has substantial weight with $55.8 million for first weekend
- Long lost Three Stooges short found in Australian garden shed
- Long-lost silent film starring Mary Pickford unearthed by carpenter
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?