St. Jaime Hilario Barbel
Author and Publisher - Catholic Online
Raised in a pious and hardworking family near the Pyrenees mountains. Entered the seminary at age 12, but when his hearing began to fail in his teens, he was sent home. Joined the Brothers of the Christian Schools at age 19, entering the noviate on 24 February1917 at Irun, Spain, taking the name Jaime Hilario. Exceptional teacher and catechist, he believed strongly in the value of universal education, especially for the poor. However, his hearing problems grew worse, and in the early 1930s, he was forced to retire fromteaching, and began work in the garden at the LaSalle house at San Jose, Tarragona, Spain.
Imprisoned in July 1936 at Mollerosa, Spain when the Spanish Civil War broke out and religious were swept from the street. Transferred to Tarragona in December, then confined on a prison ship with some other religious. Convicted on 15 January 1937 of being a Christian brother. Two rounds of volley fire from a firing squad did not kill him, possibly because some of soldiersintentionally shot wide; their commander then murdered Jaime with five shots at close range. First of the 97 LaSalle Brothers killed in Catalunia, Spain during the Spanish Civil War to be recognized as a martyr.
Biography Provided by: Jesu et Maria (JtM) Rosary Crusaders
Saint Feast Days by Month
Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska of the Blessed Sacrament was born as Helena Kowalska, in Glogowiec, Leczyca County, north-west of Lódz in Poland on August 25, 1905. She was the third of 10 children to a poor and religious family. Faustina first felt a calling to the ... continue readingMore Female Saints
Pope from 461-468 and guardian of Church unity. He was born in Sardinia, Italy, and was a papal legate to the Robber Council of Ephesus in 449, barely escaping with his life from this affair. Hilary was used by Pope St. Leo I the Great on many assignments. When Leo ... continue reading
Father Hubert Schiffer, (1915 - March 27, 1982) was one of eight German Jesuits who survived the bomb dropped on Hiroshima. He was only eight blocks away from ground zero when the explosion occurred. Some Catholics believe the survival of the priests to have been a ... continue reading
By Deacon Frederick Bartels
by Catholic Online
- St. Thomas of Villanueva: Saint of the Day for Friday, September 22, 2017
- Woman photographs angel in flight, is it here to deliver a message? ...
- Daily Reading for Sunday, September 24th, 2017 HD Video
- It's time to regulate Facebook and other social media
- Daily Readings for Friday, September 22, 2017
- At UN, the Vatican asks all nations to help in fight against human ...
- North Korea threatens to test H-Bomb over Pacific
- Hurricane Maria: The worst disaster for Puerto Rico HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, September 23rd, 2017 HD
- Terrifying earthquake collapses buildings in Mexico City, hundreds dead HD
- Daily Reading for Friday, September 22nd, 2017 HD