St. Francisca Salesia Aviat
Author and Publisher - Catholic Online
Daughter of Theodore Aviat, a shopkeeper, and Emilie Caillot. Baptized 17 September 1844; Confirmed on 2 July 1856. Educated at the Visitation School in Troyes from age eleven to sixteen. With Father Louis Brisson, she founded the Sister Oblates of Saint Francis of Sales in Troyes, France, dedicated to helping young women who poured into the cities during the Industrial Revolution. She took the Salesian Rule for the congregation. She entered religious life on 11 April 1866, took the veil on 30 October 1868, taking the name Sister Frances de Sales, and made her final vows on 11 October 1871. Superior of the Institute in 1872. Opened homes and schools for working class girls. Exiled from France on 11 April 1904 due to religious persecution and anti-religious legislation. She rebuilt her congregation from Perugia, Italy, and the Order was approved by Pope Saint Pius X in 1911.
Saint Feast Days by Month
St. Catherine of Siena was born during the outbreak of the plague in Siena, Italy on March 25, 1347. She was the 25th child born to her mother, although half of her brothers and sisters did not survive childhood. Catherine herself was a twin, but her sister did not ... continue readingMore Female Saints
The people of Olkusz in Bohemia in 1431 had every reason to be suspicious of their new pastor. They knew what a Cracow professor would think of their small rural town. But even more insulting, their town was once again being used as a dumping ground for a priest who ... continue reading
This American saint was born in Bohemia in 1811. He was looking forward to being ordained in 1835 when the bishop decided there would be no more ordinations. It is difficult for us to imagine now, but Bohemia was overstocked with priests. John wrote to bishops all over ... continue reading
By Deacon Keith Fournier
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Friday, July 21, 2017
- Family receives shocking MIRACLE after 9-month-pregnant woman is shot ...
- St. Lawrence of Brindisi: Saint of the Day for Friday, July 21, 2017
- Did the Church just marry three women to the same spouse in Detroit ...
- Daily Reading for Saturday, July 22nd, 2017 HD Video
- Cardinal Muller reports Pope Emeritus Benedict is 'disappointed' at ...
- Deadbeat Republicans, do your job or GET OUT! HD Video
- Daily Reading for Friday, July 21st, 2017 HD
- Why is Facebook censoring Catholic content? HD
- Daily Reading for Thursday, July 20th, 2017 HD
- The one nasty reason you can't take your kids to the park anymore HD