“Lent at the Abbey” celebrates Lent as a time to awaken from sinful sleep
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
LISLE, IL (FEBRUARY 22, 2009) - Benedictine University and St. Procopius Abbey invite the public to attend “Lent at the Abbey” from 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 14.
Speakers will include Fr. Becket Franks, O.S.B., of St. Procopius Abbey and Christine M. Fletcher, Ph.D., assistant professor of Religious Studies at Benedictine University. The theme of the event is “Wake up from your sleep and believe in the Gospel.”
“During the season of Lent, we all have to identify our sinful sleep that keeps us from finding the kingdom of God around and within us,” Franks said. “This day offers a chance to reflect on these questions through the Scriptures in the Benedictine practice known as ‘lectio divina.’ There will be an opportunity for the Sacrament of Reconciliation, a celebration of the Eucharist and a reflection on the value of hope.”
The schedule includes arrival and coffee, a morning prayer, the Sacrament of Reconciliation, readings, Mass, lunch in the monastic refectory, a reflection, and a closing prayer and blessing. Participants are also invited to remain at the Abbey and join the monks for Vespers at 5:00 p.m. in the Abbey Church.
Fletcher’s presentation is titled, “Stay Awake – the Virtue of Perseverance,” and will discuss the sins of the religious-minded such as the older brother in the parable of the prodigal son.
For more information or to R.S.V.P., contact Franks at (630) 829-9253. There is no fee but a free offering will be taken.
Benedictine University is an independent Roman Catholic institution located in Lisle, Illinois just 25 miles west of Chicago. Founded in 1887, Benedictine provides 46 undergraduate majors, 13 graduate programs, a Ph.D. in Organization Development and an Ed.D. in Higher Education and Organizational Change. Benedictine University is ranked as a Top School in the Midwest (seventh in Illinois) for Master’s Universities, a Best Value (second in Illinois), 11th in the Midwest (and sixth in Illinois) for Racial Diversity, and as a Top Campus with the Most International Students (fifth in Illinois) for 2009 by U.S. News & World Report.
http://www.ben.edu IL, 60532 US
Phil Brozynski - media relations manager, 630 829-6000
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- RENEW International Staff to Attend International Meeting Pastoral Project of “Evangelii Gaudium” a
- Little Sisters of the Poor to Receive Franciscan University's Poverello Medal
- Is Pope Francis for real?
- 18th Annual Carnival at St. Ann’s Parish
- The CatholicTV Network to Broadcast Blue Mass for Public Safety Personnel with Cardinal Seán O'Malle
- Back-to-School Blog Tour Highlights Catholic Children’s Literature
- New York, NY: Sat Sep 27th NYC Catholic Professionals Mass & Social
- Celebrate Christmas in Harvard Square
- Divine Mercy Saint Drama Comes to Williamsburg, Virginia
- America's First-Pro-Life Half Marathon/5K Set for Nov. 9