Can Faith Broaden Reason
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
A Discussion on Faith, Knowledge, and Experience in Light of Msgr. Luigi Giussani's New Book Is it Possible to Live This Way?
NEW YORK, NY (JANUARY 17, 2008) - One of the great themes of discussion of the last few years has been the relationship between faith and reason, science and religion. There has been a strong trend in our culture to identify reason with the methods of the natural sciences, and to dismiss all other forms of knowledge as necessarily subjective and irrational. This tendency to diminish the scope and depth of human reason has been one of the great concerns of Pope Benedict XVI, who has repeatedly called for a "broadening of reason," pointing out that even science builds on philosophical foundations that it does not give itself. In order to address this important issue, and just a couple months before Benedict XVI's visit to New York City, Crossroads Cultural Center will hold a panel discussion on how faith broadens reason in its capacity to know reality.
The event will coincide with the publication of the latest book in English by Msgr. Luigi Giussani, Is it Possible to Live This Way? (McGill-Queens University Press). This work by Giussani, the founder of the international Catholic movement Communion and Liberation (CL) explores in detail the relationship between faith and reason, pointing out how under certain conditions faith is indeed a method of knowledge.
WHAT: CAN FAITH BROADEN REASON? - A Discussion on Faith, Knowledge, and Experience in Light of Msgr. Luigi Giussani's New Book Is it Possible to Live This Way?
WHEN: Sunday, January 20, 2008 at 4:00 pm EST
WHERE: Skirball Center for the Performing Arts at New York University - 566 LaGuardia Place at Washington Square South, New York City
WHO: Speakers will include:
• Msgr. Lorenzo ALBACETE, Theologian, Author, Columnist
• Fr. Julián CARRÓN, President of the Fraternity of Communion and Liberation
• Dr. Robert POLLACK, Professor of Biological Sciences, Columbia University
• Dr. Joseph WEILER, Joseph Strauss Professor of Law, New York University
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CHECK THE CROSSROADS WEB SITE AT WWW.CROSSROADSNYC.COM
Contact: Rita Simmonds (CROSSROADS) 347-713-5146 email@example.com
Crossroads New York Cultural Center
http://www.crossroadsnyc.com/home.html NY, US
Rita Simmonds - Contact, 212 337-3580
Conference; Communion and Liberation; Carron; Albacete
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- Who's responsible for designing the designer?
- Thu, Jun 11, 2015- Mass & Healing Service with Fr. Bill Adams at Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church
- Your search for true happiness is over
- ValLimar Jansen's latest album "a soulful experience"
- Uncovering the roots (and branches) of the greatest revolution in the American Catholic Church
- NYC May 8, 2015 Spring Fling Catholic Singles Mingle Fundraiser
- Thank A Nun Day
- #TweetingwGod dares young people to believe
- Experience Beloved: Finding happiness in marriage
- Archbishop Aquila, Dr. Edward Sri and other experts to participate in 'Beloved' telepress conference