Noted Peace Activist, Father John Dear, S.J. to Speak
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
MARYKNOLL, N.Y. SEPTEMBER 24, 2007 - Father John Dear, S.J., a Jesuit priest, peace activist, popular lecturer and author, will speak at the Maryknoll Society Center in Ossining on Oct. 17, 2007, as part of the Maryknoll Speaker Series. His lecture is entitled “The Beatitudes of Peace.”
Father Dear, a longtime practitioner and teacher of nonviolence, has worked for over 25 years with such groups as the Fellowship of Reconciliation and Pax Christi. He has been arrested more than 75 times for acts of non-violent civil disobedience for peace.
His work for peace has taken him to war zones throughout the world including El Salvador, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Haiti, the Middle East, the Philippines, Northern Ireland and Iraq.
Dear has authored hundreds of articles and over 25 books on peace and justice. These include Mohandas Gandhi and You Will be My Witnesses (Orbis Books), and his newest book, Transfiguration, (Doubleday).
The Maryknoll Speakers Series offers timely and stimulating talks and discussions on matters of faith and social concern. These events are held at the Maryknoll Society Center in Ossining, N.Y.
THE EVENT IS FREE OF CHARGE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
EVENT: Father John Dear, S.J.
Maryknoll Speakers Series
Oct. 17, 2007
WHERE: Maryknoll Society Center
55 Ryder Road
DIRECTIONS: 914-941-7636 ext. 2294
Maryknoll, the U.S.-based Catholic missionary movement, includes the Maryknoll Society (Fathers and Brothers), the Maryknoll Congregation (Sisters), the Maryknoll Lay Missioners, and the Maryknoll Affiliates. Maryknollers have been representing U.S. Catholics in overseas mission since 1911 and currently serve in 40 countries worldwide. For more information on Maryknoll, consult the World Wide Web at www.maryknoll.org/society.
http://www.maryknoll.org/society NY, US
Betsey Guest - Media Assistant, 914 941-76362439
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- Celebrate National Catholic Sisters Week with Lent at Ephesus
- CCBQ Kicks off St. Patrick’s Weekend with the Alumni Networking Reception
- The CatholicTV Network to air Lenten Retreat Guides with Father John Bartunek
- Brian Miller of the Archdiocese of St. Louis, to Appear on The CatholicTV Network
- Paul Kengor to Speak on Principles of a Reagan Conservative
- Ukrainian Priest Speaks on ‘Revolution of Dignity,’ Transformation of Afflicted Country
- The CatholicTV Network to air Ashes to Glory, Daily Lenten Reflections
- Cardinal Kasper's shocking theology of Catholic marriage
- Papal agency calls for protection of religious believers’ rights following invasion of Ukraine
- Akerman-Teixeira Duo Featured at Gaudium Musicae