Noted Peace Activist, Father John Dear, S.J. to Speak
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
MARYKNOLL, N.Y. SEPTEMBER 24, 2007 - Father John Dear, S.J., a Jesuit priest, peace activist, popular lecturer and author, will speak at the Maryknoll Society Center in Ossining on Oct. 17, 2007, as part of the Maryknoll Speaker Series. His lecture is entitled “The Beatitudes of Peace.”
Father Dear, a longtime practitioner and teacher of nonviolence, has worked for over 25 years with such groups as the Fellowship of Reconciliation and Pax Christi. He has been arrested more than 75 times for acts of non-violent civil disobedience for peace.
His work for peace has taken him to war zones throughout the world including El Salvador, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Haiti, the Middle East, the Philippines, Northern Ireland and Iraq.
Dear has authored hundreds of articles and over 25 books on peace and justice. These include Mohandas Gandhi and You Will be My Witnesses (Orbis Books), and his newest book, Transfiguration, (Doubleday).
The Maryknoll Speakers Series offers timely and stimulating talks and discussions on matters of faith and social concern. These events are held at the Maryknoll Society Center in Ossining, N.Y.
THE EVENT IS FREE OF CHARGE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
EVENT: Father John Dear, S.J.
Maryknoll Speakers Series
Oct. 17, 2007
WHERE: Maryknoll Society Center
55 Ryder Road
DIRECTIONS: 914-941-7636 ext. 2294
Maryknoll, the U.S.-based Catholic missionary movement, includes the Maryknoll Society (Fathers and Brothers), the Maryknoll Congregation (Sisters), the Maryknoll Lay Missioners, and the Maryknoll Affiliates. Maryknollers have been representing U.S. Catholics in overseas mission since 1911 and currently serve in 40 countries worldwide. For more information on Maryknoll, consult the World Wide Web at www.maryknoll.org/society.
http://www.maryknoll.org/society NY, US
Betsey Guest - Media Assistant, 914 941-76362439
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- Thu, Sept 25, 2014 - Mass & Healing Service with Fr. Angelos Sebastian at Our Lady of Grace Catholic
- Employment Opportunities with the LA Archdiocese
- Marriage and Family at the Forefront of Social Science Conference
- New books and key experts available in time for October Synod on Marriage and Family
- Franciscan University Reacts to Latest HHS Mandate Ruling
- Former Polish Prime Minister to Speak on Legacy of St. John Paul II
- Divine Mercy Drama Comes to Washington, DC
- Gospel of Mark — Ready, Set, Go! - September 6, 2014
- Come to the Sisters of Providence Fall Discernment Weekend Oct. 31-Nov. 2, 2014
- New Book Helps Readers Trust God with St. Therese's Little Way