Franciscans meet in Minneapolis
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Two calendar of events items
1. Public invited to talk by Sister Helen Prejean on the Death Penalty
BALTIMORE, MD, JUNE 27, 2007 - Sister Helen Prejean, CSJ, author of the book Dead Man Walking, which inspired a film by the same name, will speak on her experiences with the death penalty at the annual conference of the Franciscan Federation in Minneapolis. In addition to being a keynote speaker at the conference, she will present a public talk: Death of Innocents, A Presentation on the Death Penalty. The talk will be July 10 at 7 p.m. in the Minneapolis Marriot Center City, 30 South 7th Street. Tickets are available at the cost of $25 in advance and $30 at the door. If interested in purchasing tickets call the Federation National Office 202-529-2334 or email Sophie Pac SophieFranfed@aol.com.
Sister Helen is an internationally-known speaker on the death penalty, the author of two books on the subject. Since 1984, Sister Helen has divided her time between campaigning against the death penalty and counseling individual death row prisoners. Dead Man Walking was published in 1993 and nominated for a Pulitzer Prize. Her realization that some of the executed men were not guilty, led to her second book, The Death of Innocents; An Eyewitness Account of Wrongful Executions. She is presently working on a book about her experiences with poor people in Latin America.
2. Public invited to Franciscan conference on the Environment and Social Justice
Franciscan women and men will descend upon Minneapolis July 9 to 12, for four days of prayer, conversation, and education on the growing needs of the environment and issues of social justice.
More than 500 Franciscans, members of more than 50 religious congregations and their associates are expected at the annual conference at the Minneapolis Marriot City Center. Each year, the group gathers to pray together, to meet and to discuss issues of concern as members of the Franciscan Federation - religious sisters, brothers, priests and those who serve with them in schools, colleges, parishes, hospitals and communities in the United States, Canada and the Caribbean.
The theme is: A Franciscan Dynamic: Right Relationship, Care for Earth, Care for Each Other. Because the theme is two-fold, there will be two thrusts of the event, one on the environment, and the other on social justice. The over arching theme is our relationship as being one with all creation and not over, above, or dominant to the earth with its diverse forms of life. One of the thrusts of the conference is challenging the corporate control of water. The Mayor of Minneapolis, R.T Rybak, supports a resolution accepted by the Federation members regarding an examination of the impacts of bottled water on municipal waste and supporting the value of municipal water.
The conference is open to the general public, Secular Franciscans, and those who share a Franciscan heart. All are welcome! Following July 1, the cost is $395 for members and $415 for non-members. There is also a one day fee for commuters at $135 per day or $80 per session. Tickets are available at the door. The conference is at the Minneapolis Marriot City Center.
http://www.franfed.org MD, US
Paula Glover - account rep, 443 263-0247
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- CONOR GALLAGHER NAMED PUBLISHER OF TAN BOOKS AND SAINT BENEDICT PRESS
- Thérèse Drama Surprises Audiences
- Catholic Press Association Honors Liguori
- Crosier Order elects master general and councilors
- Indie Catholic Authors June Ebook Sale Offers the Faithful 17 Books Outside the Mainstream
- World Library Publications Honored With Three Paul Revere Awards
- Limitless Love in Action: First Steubenville Youth Conference Inspires Teens to Bring the Fire Home
- Franciscan University of Steubenville Athletic Director Enshrined in Sports Faith Hall of Fame
- AWARD-WINNING CATHOLIC AUTHORS TEAM-UP TO PROMOTE HEALING THROUGH FORGIVENESS
- NY CONCERT FOR NEPAL 5/31