LOS ANGELES MONSIGNOR TO BE REMEMBERED 50 YEARS AFTER DEATH: Visionary of Lay Missionary Movement
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Los Angeles, CA (January 9, 2014) - Today, Pope Francis speaks passionatley of the responsibility for all people to care for the needs of the poor; to live lives that serve as a witness to our faith; and to go out and share the Good News as part of the mission of the Catholic Church.
January 14, 2014 marks the 50th anniversary of the passing of Msgr. Anthony Brouwers, former director of the Propagation of the Faith in Los Angeles and the founder of Lay Mission-Helpers and Mission Doctors Associations. Members of these groups, who have served in 36 countries around the world, will mark this day with prayers of gratitude for his vision and his call to service. Some will visit the site of his grave at Calvary Cemetery in Los Angeles.
These two groups were the first in the United States to recruit, train, send and support lay Catholics, single people, married couples and families, to serve for three years in response to requests from Missionary Bishops. Msgr. Brouwers formed these groups after his visit to Africa in 1954 following the Marian Congress in Nigeria. Traveling, he met with Bishops, Priests and Religious who told him over and over "We need help!" He met priests doing construction, sisters, without the training, pulling teeth, and one Bishop who was also delivering mail. They told him there was a need for teachers, nurses, physicians - people of faith who would come to share their gifts and live their faith.
Elise Frederick, Executive Director noted "The requests continue, Bishops asking for teachers, nurses, doctors and others who are committed to serving and living their faith. It is our privilege and I believe responsibility to ensure that Msgr. Brouwers' legacy of making it possible for Catholic lay persons to serve in mission, continues and grows stronger over the next 50 years."
Janice England, Program Director invites those interested to contact the office and learn more about how they can become involved.
In honor of this anniversary the e-book that details Msgr. Brouwers' life and legacy : For We Are God's Helpers is being offered on Amazon for only 99 cents from January 14th - February 14th.
Lay Mission-Helpers and Mission Doctors Associations, founded in 1955 and 1959, assists Catholic lay people, teachers, nurses, doctors and their families in their desire to serve in mission. Since that time these dedicated lay missionaries have worked Africa, the Pacific, Papua New Guinea, Asia and Latin America.
On the web at www.LayMissionHelpers or www.MissionDoctors.org.
Lay Missionary, missions, mission, lay missions,
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- Crosier Order elects master general and councilors
- Indie Catholic Authors June Ebook Sale Offers the Faithful 17 Books Outside the Mainstream
- World Library Publications Honored With Three Paul Revere Awards
- Limitless Love in Action: First Steubenville Youth Conference Inspires Teens to Bring the Fire Home
- Franciscan University of Steubenville Athletic Director Enshrined in Sports Faith Hall of Fame
- AWARD-WINNING CATHOLIC AUTHORS TEAM-UP TO PROMOTE HEALING THROUGH FORGIVENESS
- NY CONCERT FOR NEPAL 5/31
- Who's responsible for designing the designer?
- Thu, Jun 11, 2015- Mass & Healing Service with Fr. Bill Adams at Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church
- Your search for true happiness is over