J.F Powers Prize for Short Fiction Now Open for Submissions
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
NEW YORK, NY (October 1, 2013) - Flannery O'Connor, Evelyn Waugh, Graham Greene, and J.F. Powers have left us. Where are all the Catholic writers of literary fiction these days? A growing body of evidence suggests that they are not very busy talking about the fate of Catholic literary fiction in contemporary culture. They are busy deciding that fate. They are busy writing.
The J.F. Powers Prize for Short Fiction seeks to honor examples of excellent short story writing from a Catholic perspective. The prize is sponsored by Dappled Things: A Quarterly of Ideas, Art, and Faith.
The contest offers a $500 first-place prize and no entry fee. Judges Eve Tushnet, Andrew McNabb, and Matthew Lickona will choose one winner and nine honorable mentions. The winning story, to be announced in February 2014, will appear in a subsequent issue of Dappled Things.
The guidelines for the contest call for "carefully crafted short stories with vivid characters who encounter grace in everyday settings." The characters should have, in Powers' words, "one foot in this world and one in the next."
After November 29, 2013, the call for submissions will close. Full instructions for submitting a story can be found at https://dappledthings.submittable.com/submit/24212.
Dappled Things is a literary magazine dedicated to providing a space for emerging writers to engage the contemporary literary world from a Catholic perspective. Since 2005, Dappled Things has advanced the conversation about Catholic literary fiction in contemporary culture.
Dappled Things Magazine, Inc.
Bernardo Aparicio - President,
fiction, literature, contest, J.F. Powers
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- 19th Annual Carnival Announced for St. Ann's Parish
- OCP Pledges to Support the V Encuentro
- The John Paul II International Film Festival Marks Its Five-Year Anniversary
- Thu, Sept 24, 2015- Mass & Healing Service with Fr. Angelos Sebastian Our Lady of Grace Catholic Chu
- How do we live the truth in love when the culture says we're haters?
- Grief, Death, Eternal Life Explored in New Catholic Title by PBM
- Right Next to Disneyland: Theater Meets Faith
- OCP Parish Grant Program to Distribute $200,000 to U.S. Parishes
- Franciscan University Joins With UK School to Offer Online Master of Catechetics Degree
- CONOR GALLAGHER NAMED PUBLISHER OF TAN BOOKS AND SAINT BENEDICT PRESS