Queen of Angels Foundation Celebrates City’s 231st Birthday With 2nd Annual Grand Marian Procession
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
LOS ANGELES, CA (July 31, 2012) - Members of the Queen of Angels Foundation (www.thequeenofangels.com) and other Catholic orders and participants will celebrate the City of Los Angeles’ 231st birthday and pay tribute to Our Lady of the Angels in the Second Annual Grand Marian Procession. Scheduled for Saturday, September 8th, beginning at 3 p.m., participants will gather in full regalia along with residents and visitors to process from La Placita to the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels.
“We are excited to announce our 2012 Procession in honor of our City’s birthday,” said Mark Anchor Albert, founder of the event and Queen of Angels Foundation Chairman. ”This event occurred each year for 100 years after the City’s founding and then stopped. We decided to revive the tradition that calls for God's blessings and protection for civic and religious leaders and citizens. We bring together a multicultural community to face our common challenges with dignity, faith, hope and love.” About 1,500 participants from all over the City joined last year’s procession, and Albert expects at least twice as many this year.
“We are fortunate to have a dedicated group of individuals from Queen of Angels Foundation re-inaugurating this traditional civic commemoration that honors our history and heritage, and celebrates our City's accomplishments and diversity," said Mayor Antonio R. Villaraigosa.
The event starts with an invocation and blessing. The procession will be led by a processional crucifix, followed by a statue of the Blessed Mother in a processional carriage highlighted by banners, flags, color guards, horses and bagpipers. Participants include Knights and Dames of Malta, Knights of St. Lazarus, Knights of Columbus, Knights and Ladies of Peter Claver, Knights and Ladies of the Order of the Holy Sepulchre, Los Angeles Police Department Color Guard and Emerald Corps, Catholic Association of Latino Leaders, Grupo Guadalupano, Society of St. Vincent de Paul, Boy Scouts Color Guard and many more.
The 2012 schedule of events are as follows:
• 2:30 p.m. Blessing and Invocation of statue and participants at La Placita Church –
535 N. Main St., L.A. 90012
• 3:00 p.m. Marian Procession commencing at La Placita through downtown Los Angeles to the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels at 555 West Temple Street, L.A. 90012
• 4:30 p.m. Rosary in the Cathedral plaza
• 5:00 p.m. Processional entry into Cathedral
• 5:30 p.m. Votive Mass
• 6:45 p.m. Reception in the Cathedral Plaza
About the Queen of Angels Foundation
The Queen of Angels Foundation is a 501(c) (3) tax exempt, nonprofit religious corporation dedicated to fostering devotion to Our Lady of the Angels as the patroness and protectress of the City, County and Archdiocese that bear her name. The City of Los Angeles was founded on September 4, 1781 in honor of the Blessed Virgin, Queen of Angels (El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de Los Ángeles). Like Queen of Angeles on Facebook at www.facebook.com/queenofangelsfoundation and follow on twitter @LAQueenofAngels. View last year’s Queen of Angels Grand Marian Procession on YouTube http://bit.ly/NJSVgw.
Tellem Grody PR, Inc.
http://www.thequeenofangels.com CA, 90265 US
Susan Tellem - Partner, 310-313-3444
Queen of Angeles, Los Angeles, Marian Parade,
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- EWTN PREMIERE: New StoryTel Film Explores Soldiers of Christ in America
- Crosiers offer novena for protection against Ebola virus
- Meet the enemy of big government: J.R.R. Tolkien
- Enter the world of beatniks, hippies … and singing monks?
- Pontiff and Prophet: Pope Paul VI predictions in On Human Life ring true throughout the world
- George Weigel on Evangelical Catholicism in Catholic Universities
- Frankfurt Book Fair 2014
- ‘Christmas in Harvard Square’ wows with impressive debut on Billboard charts
- Pontifical Low Mass (DVD & Booklet)
- Horrific tragedy inspires Catholic entrepreneur to create powerful novel