Dominican University Siena Center hosts filmmaker Dan Dinello
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
RIVER FOREST, IL (March 21, 2012) - Dominican University’s Siena Center will host Daniel Dinello, professor of film and video at Columbia College Chicago, for a lecture “Dr. Frankenstein’s Footsteps: A Critical Look at Some Key Films” on Thursday, April 19, at 7:00 p.m. in the Bluhm Lecture Hall of Parmer Hall on Dominican’s Main Campus, 7900 W. Division Street, River Forest.
The lecture will focus on society’s reaction to the amoral portrayal of the “mad scientist” in popular culture and will include the showing several film clips. Dinello theorizes that such images lead to societal anxiety about irresponsible science and scientists who produce horrific weapons, corporate profits and dehumanizing technologies.
Dinello is the author of Technophobia!: Science Fiction Visions of Posthuman Technology and was named Columbia’s 2011-2012 Distinguished Faculty Scholar. He also achieved popular success as a director and producer for short films television collaborations with Stephen Colbert and Amy Sedaris in the 1990s, including the critically acclaimed Strangers With Candy comedy series.
He earned his bachelor’s degree from the University of Illinois and an MFA in film and video from the University of Wisconsin.
The event is free and open to the public. For more information, visit the dom.edu/siena or contact the Siena Center at (708) 714-9105.
Dominican University established the Siena Center to engage the critical issues of church and society in the light of faith and scholarship. The center was named for St. Catherine of Siena, a 14th century laywoman who worked for the reform of the church and justice in the world. Her passionate devotion to the central issues of church and society inspires the work of the center in its schedule of lectures, symposia, workshops, retreats, research and seminars.
http://www.dom.edu/newsroom/press/2012/march/article_0009.html IL, 60305 US
Dan Armstrong - Public Relations Manager, 708-524-6452
dominican university, dan dinello, science fiction, nuclear, monsters, film, chicago, lecture
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- Paul Kengor to Speak on Principles of a Reagan Conservative
- Ukrainian Priest Speaks on ‘Revolution of Dignity,’ Transformation of Afflicted Country
- Cardinal Kasper's shocking theology of Catholic marriage
- Papal agency calls for protection of religious believers’ rights following invasion of Ukraine
- Akerman-Teixeira Duo Featured at Gaudium Musicae
- Veritas Conference to Discuss Threats to Religious Freedom
- Media and Faith Conference Slated for April
- NYC Thursday April 24th Spring Fling - Singles Mingle Charity Event
- PROVIDING LIFE-AFFIRMING PREGNANCY SUPPORT TO WOMEN LOWERS ABORTIONS IN PENNSYLAVNIA AGAIN!
- Andy LaVallee to Appear on The CatholicTV Network