Sacrament of Confirmation
The sacrament of confirmation completes the sacrament of baptism. If baptism is the sacrament of re-birth to a new and supernatural life, confir- mation is the sacrament of maturity and coming of age. The real confession of Christ consist in this 'that the whole man submits himself to Truth, in the judgment of his understanding, in the submission of his will and in the consecration of his whole power of love . . . To do this, poor-spirited man is only able when he has been confirmed by God's grace'
This confirmation in the power of the Holy Spirit leading to a firm profession of faith has always been the particular effect which Catholic tradition has ascribed to the sacrament. It is effect which complements and completes that of baptism.
THE CHURCH TEACHES
Confirmation is a true sacrament instituted by Christ and different from baptism. It is administered by laying-on of hands and anointing with chrism accompanied by prayer. The chrism is blessed by the bishop and the bishop administers the sacrament. All baptized persons can and should be confirmed. The effect of the sacrament of confirmation is to give strength in faith and for the confession of faith and to impress an indelible character.
- Your candle will serve as a symbol of your sincere and prayerful intentions.
- Our prayer community will join you in prayer, multiplying the voices in petition with you.
- Your candle can be shared with friends and family, if you wish.
- These candles are perfect for loved ones, as memorials, and for those in need who are far away.
Come, Holy Spirit, fill my heart with Your holy gifts. Let my weakness be penetrated with Your strength this very day that I may fulfill all the duties of my state conscientiously, that I may do what is right and just. Let my charity be such as to offend no one, and hurt no one's feelings; so ... continue readingMore Prayer of the Day
In the centuries old Catholic tradition, holy cards or prayer cards are small, devotional cards for the use of the faithful. Prayer cards have an endless amount of use and make wonderful gifts and keepsakes.
Pick a Prayer Section
by Catholic Online
- What happened during the London terror attack? HD Video
- 'Living Lent': Monday of the Fourth Week of Lent - Day 27
- 'Living Lent': Saturday of the Third Week of Lent - Day 25
- 'Living Lent': Sunday of the Fourth Week of Lent - Day 26
- Daily Readings for Friday, March 24, 2017
- St. Aldemar: Saint of the Day for Friday, March 24, 2017
- Daily Reading for Saturday, March 25th, 2017 HD Video
- Pope Francis prays for Westminster terror attack victims HD
- Daily Reading for Friday, March 24th, 2017 HD
- Adorable girl captured stealing Pope Francis' hat in hilarious footage HD
- Supreme court nominee faces tough questions on religious freedom during confirmation hearings HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.