Sacrament of Confirmation
The sacrament of confirmation completes the sacrament of baptism. If baptism is the sacrament of re-birth to a new and supernatural life, confir- mation is the sacrament of maturity and coming of age. The real confession of Christ consist in this 'that the whole man submits himself to Truth, in the judgment of his understanding, in the submission of his will and in the consecration of his whole power of love . . . To do this, poor-spirited man is only able when he has been confirmed by God's grace'
This confirmation in the power of the Holy Spirit leading to a firm profession of faith has always been the particular effect which Catholic tradition has ascribed to the sacrament. It is effect which complements and completes that of baptism.
THE CHURCH TEACHES
Confirmation is a true sacrament instituted by Christ and different from baptism. It is administered by laying-on of hands and anointing with chrism accompanied by prayer. The chrism is blessed by the bishop and the bishop administers the sacrament. All baptized persons can and should be confirmed. The effect of the sacrament of confirmation is to give strength in faith and for the confession of faith and to impress an indelible character.
Browser Prayers by Section
Prayer of the Day
How to pray the Rosary
El Rosario Santo
Sign of the Cross
The Way - The First Christians
The Chaplet of Divine Mercy
Stations of the Cross
Virtual Prayer Candles
by Catholic Online
- St. Maximinus of Trier: Saint of the Day for Monday, May 29, 2017
- A Big Thank You from JESUS IS - The Series HD Video
- Getting Creative With Dead Bodies?
- Daily Readings for Monday, May 29, 2017
- 26 Coptic Christians dead after heinous attack HD Video
- US Archbishop decries President Trump's budget plan - at odds with ...
- Jesus Is HERE: Pope Francis declares Jesus intercedes for us every day
- Day 5 - Novena to the Holy Spirit for a New Pentecost for the Church HD
- Day 4 - Novena to the Holy Spirit for a New Pentecost for the Church HD
- Day 3 - Novena to the Holy Spirit for a New Pentecost for the Church HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, May 31st, 2017 HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.