Sacrament of Confirmation
The sacrament of confirmation completes the sacrament of baptism. If baptism is the sacrament of re-birth to a new and supernatural life, confir- mation is the sacrament of maturity and coming of age. The real confession of Christ consist in this 'that the whole man submits himself to Truth, in the judgment of his understanding, in the submission of his will and in the consecration of his whole power of love . . . To do this, poor-spirited man is only able when he has been confirmed by God's grace'
This confirmation in the power of the Holy Spirit leading to a firm profession of faith has always been the particular effect which Catholic tradition has ascribed to the sacrament. It is effect which complements and completes that of baptism.
THE CHURCH TEACHES
Confirmation is a true sacrament instituted by Christ and different from baptism. It is administered by laying-on of hands and anointing with chrism accompanied by prayer. The chrism is blessed by the bishop and the bishop administers the sacrament. All baptized persons can and should be confirmed. The effect of the sacrament of confirmation is to give strength in faith and for the confession of faith and to impress an indelible character.
Browser Prayers by Section
Prayer of the Day
How to pray the Rosary
El Rosario Santo
Sign of the Cross
The Way - The First Christians
The Chaplet of Divine Mercy
Stations of the Cross
by Catholic Online
- Pro-Life win? Arkansas makes big moves against abortion-machine ...
- Mother shares tragic photo of dying daughter as she pulled the plug ...
- Why have ONE MILLION South Sudanese people entered Uganda?
- Daily Readings for Monday, August 21, 2017
- 'IN OUR HEARTS WE BEAR THE PAIN' Pope Francis opens prayers for all ...
- Pope Francis asks for prayers following terror attacks in Spain HD Video
- St. Pius X: Saint of the Day for Monday, August 21, 2017
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, August 21st, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, August 20th, 2017 HD
- Charlie Gard's mother opens up about the beautiful life of terminally ill Charlie HD