Skip to content
Catholic Online Logo

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

8/8/2013 (1 year ago)

Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)

Extra troops around the targeted facilities, banning all entry halted plot

A plot by alleged al-Qaeda operatives to take over an oil export terminal and gas export facility in Yemen has been thwarted by Yemeni security forces. A government official has declared that extra security forces around the targeted facilities, along with the banning of all entry stopped the attempt.

Extra security forces around the targeted facilities, along with the banning of all entry stopped the attempt.

Extra security forces around the targeted facilities, along with the banning of all entry stopped the attempt.

Highlights

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)

8/8/2013 (1 year ago)

Published in Middle East

Keywords: Al Qaeda, Yemen, plot, Ramadan, gas facilities, drone strikes


LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Press adviser to Yemeni Prime Minister Mohammed Salem Basindwa, Rajeh Badi says the plot involved dozens of al-Qaeda members dressed in Yemeni army uniforms. The disguised operatives had planned to storm the facilities this past Sunday, on the 27th night of Ramadan.

"The plot aimed to seize the al-Dabbah oil export terminal in Hadramout [province] and the Belhaf gas export facility, as well as the city of Mukalla," Badi told journalists, referring to the Hadramout provincial capital.

It's not yet known if the alleged plot was linked to threats which prompted the United States to close diplomatic missions across the region and withdraw many of its personnel from Yemen.
In a related development, a U.S. drone strike killed at least six people in southern Yemen. It was the fifth such attack in less than two weeks. Vehicles in a remote area about 70 kilometers north of the provincial capital, Ataq. Both vehicles were destroyed. Residents who rushed to the scene found only charred bodies, they said.

The editor of the Yemen Post, Hakim al-Masmari told Al Jazeera that local sources indicated at least one of the people killed in the U.S. drone strike on Wednesday was "an al-Qaeda member."

At least 20 people have been killed in drone strikes since July 28, when a strike killed at least four members of Ansar al-Sharia, a local armed group affiliated with al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, one of the most active branches of the network founded by Osama bin Laden.

Intercepted communication by U.S. officials indicate that in between bin Laden's successor as al-Qaeda leader, Ayman al-Zawahri, and the Yemen-based wing was one part of the intelligence behind the alert last week that prompted the closure of the embassies.

The international situation is Yemen has flared over the past several weeks. In addition to the United States, the United Kingdom, France and Germany have also closed their missions, and other European countries have taken extra precautions. Belgium, Italy and The Netherlands have since advised their citizens to leave.

---


Pope Francis: end world hunger through 'Prayer and Action'


2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM

Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for August 2014
Refugees:
That refugees, forced by violence to abandon their homes, may find a generous welcome and the protection of their rights.
Oceania: That Christians in Oceania may joyfully announce the faith to all the people of that region.



Comments


More Middle East

World 'cannot keep silent about the existence of the so-called ISIS,' patriarchs declare Watch

Image of The recent summit addressing IS was presided over by Cardinal Bechara Rai, Maronite patriarch.

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

Meeting at the Maronite Catholic patriarchate at Bkerke, north of Beirut, Catholic and Orthodox patriarchs convened for a special summit to address the crisis in Iraq and Syria. Later joined by the United Nations' special coordinator in Lebanon and the ... continue reading


U.S., Europe next on Islamic State's list to attack, Saudi king warns Watch

Image of

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

As the world grows more appalled by the day about the inhumanities conducted by the Islamic State in Syria and Iraq, Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah warns that the west is not immune. A staunch ally of both the U.S. and its allies, Saudi King Abdullah bin ... continue reading


Fleeing imminent death, three million Syrians now registered in other countries. That's half the population of Syria. Watch

Image of A bride crossing the Israel-Syria border.

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

"The Syrian crisis has become the biggest humanitarian emergency of our era, yet the world is failing to meet the needs of refugees and the countries hosting them," Antonio Guterres, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, said in a statement. As of this ... continue reading


Video shows rows of bodies as 250 Syrian soldiers DEATH MARCHED, forced to chant praises to their executioners before being killed (Warning: PHOTOS)

Image of Forced to chant praised to their executioners, jubilant ISIS terrorists killed approximately 250 Syrian prisoners.

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

The Islamic State has committed another atrocity, this time murdering as many as 250 Syrian soldiers following a half-naked death-march across the desert sand to their place of execution. The entire way, as a video reveals, the men were compelled to chant and sing ... continue reading


Yazidi women held prisoners by IS sold as sex slaves, jihadist brides Watch

Image of Women held captive by ISIS have their newborn babies taken from them -- to never be seen again.

By Catholic Online - (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

In just the latest devaluation of humanity in the ongoing war in Iraq and Syria, hundreds of Yazidi women being held prisoner by Islamic State fighters to be sold off as sex slaves or wives. They are selling these women for as little as $25. They are repeatedly ... continue reading


Islamic State invasion 'pure and simple religious cleansing and attempted genocide' Watch

Image of Patriarch Younan says that in the Kurdistan region,

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

Syriac Catholic Patriarch Ignace Joseph III Younan has returned from the Kurdish region of Iraq, and what he has seen has been harrowing indeed. What he made of the handiwork of Islamic State, he said, "is a pure and simple religious cleansing and attempted ... continue reading


Second American confirmed killed fighting for ISIS in Syria Watch

Image of Neither overtly religious nor politically vocal, Abdirahmaan Muhumed appears to have been radicalized by jihadi rap videos, romanticized notions of revolution and first-hand accounts of the

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

A father-of-nine from Minneapolis has become the second confirmed American jihadi to die fighting for ISIS in Syria. Twenty-nine-year-old Abdirahmaan Muhumed is believed to have died last week in the same battle as U.S. rapper Douglas McArthur McCain, likewise ... continue reading


Children forced by IS to watch shootings, beheadings Watch

Image of Other acts of inhumanity include amputations, the stoning to death of women by

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

Children in both Iraq and Syria are being forced to watch as IS beheads or shoots its victims at close range. According to a United Nations report, corpses are then displayed on crucifixes with decapitated heads exhibited on sticks -- for days long afterwards. ... continue reading


Gaza ceasefire holds: Israeli PM Netanyahu says war in Gaza ended in 'victory' Watch

Image of At least 2,140 people, chiefly civilians, have been killed in Gaza, according to the Palestinian health ministry. Another 11,000 people have been injured.

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

Saying that the Palestinian Islamist Hamas movement was "hit hard and got none of its demands," Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declared that the seven-week conflict in Gaza ended in "victory." In the meantime, Hamas has also claimed the truce ... continue reading


Would you drink this? 3,000 year old wine found in Israel Watch

Image of Radar imaging of the ancient cellar where more than 40 wine vessels were found, dating back more than 3,000 years.

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

A new excavation of a Bronze Age palace in Israel has revealed a massive wine cellar filled with a collection of over 40 large vessels that each contain a differently flavored wine including mint, honey and juniper, researchers say. LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic ... continue reading


All Middle East News

Newsletters

Newsletter Sign Up icon

Stay up to date with the latest news, information, and special offers

Daily Readings

Reading 1, First Corinthians 2:1-5
1 Now when I came to you, brothers, I did not come ... Read More

Psalm, Psalms 119:97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102
97 How I love your Law! I ponder it all day ... Read More

Gospel, Luke 4:16-30
16 He came to Nazara, where he had been brought up, ... Read More

Saint of the Day

Saint of the Day for September 1st, 2014 Image

St. Giles, Abbot
September 1: St. Giles, Abbot (Patron of Physically Disabled) Feast day - ... Read More

Inform, Inspire & Ignite Logo

Find Catholic Online on Facebook and get updates right in your live feed.

Become a fan of Catholic Online on Facebook


Follow Catholic Online on Twitter and get News and Product updates.

Follow us on Twitter