Skip to content
Catholic Online Logo

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

5/8/2013 (1 year ago)

Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)

Testimonies are the first public account from a U.S. official about September 11, 2012 tragedy

U.S. diplomat Gregory Hicks says that while the U.S. diplomatic compound in eastern Libya came under attack the night of Sept. 11, 2012, the deputy head of the embassy in Tripoli tried to get the Pentagon to scramble fighter jets over Benghazi. Hicks says that this may have averted a second attack on a nearby CIA complex. Hicks' testimony is the first public account from a U.S. official who was in Libya at the time of the attacks that killed four U.S. operatives.

U.S. diplomat Gregory Hicks is expected to speak at a hearing this week. The attack on the Benghazi compound resulted in the death of Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and three other government employees.

U.S. diplomat Gregory Hicks is expected to speak at a hearing this week. The attack on the Benghazi compound resulted in the death of Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and three other government employees.

Highlights

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)

5/8/2013 (1 year ago)

Published in Africa

Keywords: Benghazi, Libya, attack, September 11, 2012, U.S. diplomat Gregory Hicks


LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Hours later, according to excerpts of the account by Hicks, officials in the Libyan capital sought permission to deploy four U.S. Special Operations troops to Benghazi aboard a Libyan military aircraft early the next morning - but the troops were told to stand down.

Defense Department officials maintain they had no units that could have responded in time to counter the attack in Benghazi. Republicans on Capitol Hill say that whether the Obama administration could have saved lives with a quicker response. Republicans say the hesitation to send the Special Operations troops may have, at the very least, deprived wounded Americans in Benghazi of first aid.

Hicks is expected to speak at a hearing this week. The attack on the Benghazi compound resulted in the death of Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and three other government employees.

New details about the attack are certain to start new debate over whether the Obama administration has been forward in its accounting of the mishap that resulted in the first death of a U.S. ambassador in the line of duty in a generation.

The episode, if the current administration is found culpable, could dog any future political aspirations of Hillary Rodham Clinton, who was secretary of state when the attacks happened.

The lieutenant colonel in Tripoli who commanded the Special Operations team told Hicks he was sorry that his men had been held back. "I've never been so embarrassed in my life that a State Department officer has bigger balls than someone in the military," the officer told Hicks, according to the diplomat's account. Hicks called that "a nice compliment."

The administration claims that the independent review of the Benghazi assault was exhaustive, and State Department officials have vowed to implement reforms to make U.S. missions abroad safer.

Many republican lawmakers have not been mollified. "The White House and the Pentagon have allowed us to believe that there were no military options on the table," Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) said in a phone interview. "The model of the military is to leave no person behind, and it's stunning and unacceptable to think we had military willing and ready to go and the Pentagon told them to stand down. That's just not the American way."

Pentagon spokesman George Little said he would review the Hicks testimony. "We have repeatedly stated that while Department officials started taking action immediately after learning that an attack was underway at the American facility there, our forces were unable to reach it in time to intervene to stop the attacks," Little said in an email.

---


Pope Francis: end world hunger through 'Prayer and Action'


Copywriter 2015 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM

Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for February 2015
General Intention:
That prisoners, especially the young, may be able to rebuild lives of dignity.
Missionary Intention: That married people who are separated may find welcome and support in the Christian community.



Comments


More Africa

Cease-fire agreement promises hope to war torn Mali Watch

By Kaci Racelma (Catholic Online)

A peace deal has been signed in Mali, potentially bringing an end to a war which has devastated the west African nation for years. ALGIERS, ALGERIA (Catholic Online) - A representative of the Azawad independence movement, Bilal Ag Cherif, met with a representative ... continue reading


Red Cross report: You won't believe what Boko Haram is doing now Watch

Image of While many African nations have joined an international military force to fight Boko Haram, the Islamist group is far from defeat and still extremely dangerous.

By Kaci Racelma, Catholic Online

The war against the Nigerian terrorist group Boko Haram has claimed a new front line, centering on the city of Diffa on the Nigerian border. ALGIERS, ALGERIA (Catholic Online) - The city's population continues to suffer under the Islamist group's draconian rules, and ... continue reading


American missionary kidnapped from Christian school in Africa Watch

Image of Reverend Phyllis Sortor had been working as a missionary in Africa for the past decade.

By Abigail James (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

An American Christian missionary in central Nigeria was kidnapped from Hope Academy, according to the website of the Free Methodist Church. LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - "Early this morning we received a report that Reverend Phyllis Sortor, our missionary in ... continue reading


7-year-old child suicide bomber kills seven in Nigeria Watch

Image of Suspicious security guards said they tried to prevent the girl from entering the market.

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

A girl thought to be as young as seven years of age  killed herself and seven others in a suicide bombing in northeast Nigeria. The bombing in Potiskum last Sunday was the second suicide attack in or near the market where new and second-hand phones are ... continue reading


Coptic Christian refugee route, Tunisia, not as secure as it appears Watch

Image of Tunisia has seen an upturn in the number of radical Islamists since the growth of the Islamic State and the Arab Spring.

By Kaci Racelma (Catholic Online)

Insecurity and fear is back in Tunisia, which had thus far managed to avoid severe violence despite neighboring war-torn Libya, following a terrorist attack which killed four Tunisian soldiers between the night of February 17 and morning of the 18th. ALGIERS, ... continue reading


More cell phones than flush toilets -- Mobile phones reshaping African cultures Watch

Image of Mobile usage in Africa increases twice as fast as the global average.

By Abigail James (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

In this very moment, you're using the internet. Are you on a computer? If you're living in an African Country, chances are you've never even seen a computer and can only browse using a mobile device. LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - According to CNN, 70 percent of ... continue reading


SHOCKING NEW BOOK says AIDS began in Africa at run of century - not 1980s Watch

Image of David Quammen's

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

If a new historical treatise is accurate, AIDS/HIV, associated mostly with homosexual men, did not begin in the metropolitan climes of New York City and Paris in the 1980s, but in the Cameroonian jungles of Africa at the turn of the century. David Quammen's ... continue reading


Hate vs. Hate: Racist ISIS may not let Boko Haram join forces with them Watch

Image of ISIS and Boko Haram differ in many ways. While both use social media, the ISIS campaign is far more sophisticated in utilizing more than 20 languages.

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

The irony is totally lost to them - the hate-fueled Islamist State, persecuting Christians, fellow Muslims, Coptics and many others, may disallow the Nigerian terror group Boko Haram from joining forces with them. "The Arab world is incredibly racist," ... continue reading


UP to a QUARTER MILLION Christian Nigerians at risk of mass slaying at hands of Boko Haram Watch

Image of A successful attack in Maiduguri would provide Boko Haram with a launching point for further attacks on the neighboring states of Cameroon, Chad and Niger.

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

The militant Islamist group Boko Haram forces seems poised to attack Maiduguri, a city of two million in northeast Nigeria. This puts at least 200,000 Nigerian Christians at risk of slaughter. LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - "An attack on Madiguri is very ... continue reading


What happened to the 270 Nigerian school girls kidnapped by Boko Haram? Watch

Image of The whereabouts of the remaining 219 missing Chibok girls remains typically unknown.

By Abigail James (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

Boko Haram kidnapped 270 girls 10 months ago. Snatched from the Chibok boarding school in Nigeria, the missing reports of these young girls caused a widespread international protest and demand for the girls to be brought back home. LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - ... continue reading


All Africa News

Newsletters

Newsletter Sign Up icon

Stay up to date with the latest news, information, and special offers

Daily Readings

Reading 1, Deuteronomy 26:16-19
16 'Yahweh your God commands you today to observe ... Read More

Psalm, Psalms 119:1-2, 4-5, 7-8
1 How blessed are those whose way is blameless, who ... Read More

Gospel, Matthew 5:43-48
43 'You have heard how it was said, You will love ... Read More

Saint of the Day

Saint of the Day for February 28th, 2015 Image

St. Hilary, Pope
February 28: Pope from 461-468 and guardian of Church unity. He was born in ... Read More

Inform, Inspire & Ignite Logo

Find Catholic Online on Facebook and get updates right in your live feed.

Become a fan of Catholic Online on Facebook


Follow Catholic Online on Twitter and get News and Product updates.

Follow us on Twitter